Eligibility Requirements and LYDIA Fund Policies
Below is a summary of LYDIA Fund’s eligibility requirements and policies. If at this time you do not meet one or more of the five eligibility requirements listed below, you are not eligible to apply.
1. You must be a married, heterosexual couple.
2. You must both be Christians as defined by the Bible.
3. You must be adopting a child or children from a non-U.S. country, and the child(ren) must be currently in a foreign institution or foster care system.
4. You must be working through a licensed, U.S.-based adoption agency or similar entity. IRS regulations will not permit us to work with independent adoptions.
5. You must be committed to the adoption process and be far enough along in the process to meet all of the following conditions: (a) Your home study is underway or completed, (b) The USCIS process is underway or completed, (c) you have your referral (Ukraine is an exception), and (d) your best estimate of your travel date is at least 3 full months from the date of your application, but not more than one year. We recognize that the date can be difficult to estimate and is subject to change, but before applying you should be at a point where you are reasonably certain that your travel date is between 3 and 12 months away. We cannot accept "unknown" for the travel date.
6. You are not eligible to apply to The LYDIA Fund if you previously applied within the past 5 years, regardless of whether or not you received a grant.
Your eligibility for a grant is partly dependent on an interview. The interview is an informal meeting with our board members which takes place sometime prior to your departure date. It’s a chance for us to get to know you better, to hear your story, to answer questions, and to pray for you. Travel to a face-to-face interview is at your own expense, so if you are well outside the Minneapolis, Minnesota area, you may opt for a phone or Skype interview.
Because of our high volume of applications, we regret that we cannot interview all applicants . Our selection of interviewees is based on various considerations, and we strive to be as fair as possible. If you are not selected, please do not automatically assume that we considered you ineligible or undeserving. We simply do not have the resources to help everyone. (For a list of other adoption aid funds, please visit our Resources page).
In addition to typing general information into the online application form, you will be required to electronically attach a total of 7 additional documents (testimonies, reference letters, fee statement, and family photo). These attachments are explained in the last section of the application form. It is strongly recommended that you review what is required and collect the 7 documents before filling out the application form, as the online form cannot be saved after it has been started. Please do NOT submit your application packet until it is accompanied by ALL the required attachments. The LYDIA Fund CANNOT accept partially completed application packets or separately submitted attachments. Also, please do NOT submit home studies or tax returns. The LYDIA Fund does not require this information, and does not review it.