Please enter your initials to confirm you have read and agree to the Terms of Service, especially section 4 pertaining to DNA-related research, which grants permission for your test results to be transferred to additional databases.
Please enter your initials to confirm you have read and agree to the Terms of Service. If research includes DNA Analysis, this includes permission to transfer DNA data to additional databases when necessary.
Most in-depth research projects are completed 12-16 weeks after we receive all of your information, but this can vary depending on researchers' queues, archival schedules, and government wait times. Rush options are available if needed. See https://www.legacytree.com/blog/onsite-research-around-world-expect for more information on the challenges of archival research.
Please enter your initials to confirm you have read and agree to the Terms of Service.
First, invite Legacy Tree Genealogists to be a member of your tree:
1. Sign into MyHeritage.com
2. From the homepage, click the "Invite more family" tab on the far left.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Invite other people manually."
4. Choose female gender, put "Legacy Tree" in the first name and "Genealogists" in the surname and "email@example.com" for the email. Then click the "Invite" button at the bottom right side of the page.
Second, export a GEDCOM:
1. Sign into MyHeritage.com.
2. Mouse over the "Family Tree" tab and choose "Manage Trees."
3. Click "Export to GEDCOM" in the right-hand column under "Actions."
4. Click "No" to include photos.
5. If you have a large tree, it will send you an email with a link to the GEDCOM. Download this file and upload below. If you have a small tree, the GEDCOM will download to your "Downloads" folder.
6. Upload the downloaded GEDCOM by clicking on the button below and selecting the file from your computer.
First, export a GEDCOM from your Ancestry tree:
1. Click TREES tab in the main navigation bar at the top of the page.
2. Click the tree you want to download from the drop-down menu.
3. On the left side of the screen, by the tree name in the black bar, click the little 'v' (dropdown menu).
4. Click "Tree Settings."
5. On the right side of the page under "Manage Your Tree", click the green button "Export Tree."
6. The tree will be generated as a GEDCOM file. Once it's finished generating, click the "DOWNLOAD YOUR GEDCOM FILE" button to save the file.
7. Upload the GEDCOM file using the button below.
Second, invite Legacy Tree Genealogists to view your tree:
1. Login to Ancestry.com.
2. Click on the "Trees" tab at the top.
3. Click the Tree you want to view.
4. Click the little arrow next to “Tree Pages” (near top left), and choose “Sharing.”
5. Click the choice for “Email” and type “firstname.lastname@example.org” into the box.
6. Click the orange “Send Invites” button.
Follow this link for instructions on exporting a GEDCOM from RootsMagic: http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/export-rootsmagic-gedcom
Follow this link for instructions on exporting a GEDCOM from Ancestral Quest:http://seamons.com/projects/infobase_tech/aqgedcom.htm
Follow this link for instructions on exporting a GEDCOM from Family Tree Maker:https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/family-tree-maker-export/
Follow this link for instructions on exporting a GEDCOM from Legacy Family Tree:http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00515/0/GEDCOM-How-export-from-Legacy-to-a-different-program.html
If you have taken a MyHeritage DNA test, you will be asked to provide your MyHeritage DNA Matches list during the research process. Your project manager will provide instructions on how to do this.
If you have taken a 23andMe DNA test, the best way for us to access this information is through your account. Please provide temporary login information through this secure, encrypted form (we recommend that you change this after completion of your project).
If you have taken an AncestryDNA test, here are steps for providing this information to us:
1. Log into your AncestryDNA.com account.2. Click on "Settings" (the gear button on the right side of the page).3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Add a person."4. Enter email@example.com for the email address and choose a role (we prefer 'Collaborator').5. Click the "Send Invitation" button.
Did you invite firstname.lastname@example.org to your AncestryDNA account?
If you have taken a Living DNA test, here are steps for providing your report to us:
1. Log into your LivingDNA results.2. Select the test you would like to share by clicking “View Test.”3. Click “Share Results” (next to the link icon) in the left hand bar.4. Adjust the layout if you wish (optional).5. Click the “Share Results” button (in blue) under Share Your Test.6. Right-click the URL and copy the URL.7. Paste the URL into the field below.
If you have tested with MyHeritage DNA, 23andMe, or AncestryDNA, but have not uploaded your DNA to Family Tree DNA, you may do so now. (Or if you have taken a Family Finder test with Family Tree DNA, please share that information with us here.)
Adding your data to this site allows us to compare your data with additional matches and to use additional tools for analyzing your DNA. If you have tested with more than one company you only need to transfer data from one of them.
1. If you have not already done so, download your DNA data from AncestryDNA, MyHeritage DNA, or 23andMe.
2. Go to https://familytreedna.com and click on "Autosomal Transfer" from the "DNA Tests" dropdown menu.
3. Create a free account, then select your transfer type and follow the instructions.
4. Share your login information with us through this secure, encrypted form (we recommend changing this after your project is completed).
1. If you have not already done so, download your DNA data from AncestryDNA, MyHeritage DNA, 23andMe, or Family Tree DNA.
2. Register for a free account at https://www.genesis.gedmatch.com.
3. Upload your DNA data to GEDmatch using the upload link in the top right section after logging in.
4. Share your login information with us through this secure, encrypted form (we recommend changing this upon completion of your project).
1. If you have not already done so, download your DNA data using your testing company's download instructions.
2. If you do not have an account with MyHeritage, sign up for a free account at https://myheritage.com.
3. Click on "Upload DNA Data" from the "DNA" dropdown menu, and follow the uploading instructions.
4. Provide your MyHeritage login information below. Note: do not change your login until the project is complete.
If you have done Autosomal DNA testing, but have not taken a Family Tree DNA test or uploaded your DNA data to this site, please do so now.
Adding your data to this site allows us to compare your data with additional matches and to use additional tools for analyzing your DNA. If you have tested with more than one company you only need to transfer data from one of them (preferably MyHeritage or AncestryDNA).
Please provide temporary login information through this secure, encrypted form (we recommend that you change this after completion of your project).
We often find that we need to get in touch with your cousin matches in order to understand how you might be related to them. Understanding the family trees of your matches is the key to finding unknown parents, so this is an important step.
We don’t ever initiate contact with matches who are a second cousin (200 cM) or closer, so if we need to be in touch with them, we’ll need you to initiate contact. If you haven’t already done so, we can provide help on what to say and what to ask for.
For those cousin matches who are more distant, we can initiate contact, but only if we have your permission. Please initial below to indicate that we have your permission to get in touch with cousins who are expected to be more distant than a second cousin (i.e. those under 200 cM).
Please list the names of people whose kits you manage, as well as those whose results can be viewed through your account (i.e. relatives who have allowed you to see their results under your login). Indicate Yes or No if we have permission to view their results.
I acknowledge that per Legacy Tree Genealogists Terms of Service we do not initiate contact with the living relatives of clients who are 2nd cousins or closer. If the natural course of a project requires contacting living individuals who are 2nd cousins or closer, you will need to initiate contact with these relatives. If this becomes the case, we will inform you and can provide direction on what to say.
If we will create your electronic tree, please fill out as much known information below as possible, even if just an estimate (i.e., birth year). Note: for DNA analysis, information about BOTH sides of a person's family is helpful.
Traditional Genealogy Research and DNA Analysis: begin by entering information for yourself.
Probate and Other Forensic Research: enter information beginning with the primary research subject.
Heritage Travel Plans: begin with the most recent ancestor who lived in the location you plan to visit.
We look forward to working with you!
After submitting this form, your project manager will contact you to discuss the specifics of your case.