PROGRAM INFORMATION AND COST:
- Tentative dates of trip: October 7 - 15, 2017. Pre-trip orientation will be held September 23 (tentatively).
- Eligibility: Hawaii high school students currently in grades 9 – 12.
- Trip Description: Students will explore the cultural, economic, and political heterogeneity of contemporary Philippines. They will visit historical sites, explore both urban and rural environments, and learn about local efforts to combat poverty and inequality at the grassroots level. Students will participate in cultural exchanges at local schools and visit public, private, and governmental institutions that shape the diverse landscape of the Philippines. The trip intends to show students how travel and global education correlates to various career paths, encourage participation in future travel and study abroad opportunities, and bridge connections between their local and world communities.
- Program cost: Tentatively $2,650 plus international airfare (estimated at $1,000) and interisland airfare (for participants who do not live on Oahu). Price includes all program related expenses such as transportation, accommodation, meals, activities, travel insurance, and entry fees, and does not cover personal expenses such as laundry, communication, snacks, and souvenirs. Current cost estimate is based on previous year’s costs and is subject to change.
*A minimum of 6 participants is needed to guarantee this trip.
- Scholarship Eligibility: Public and charter high school students in Hawaii are eligible for need-based, partial program scholarships. Preference is given to students with financial need who participate in PAAC Clubs, After School Classes, or events.
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND INSTRUCTIONS: Application deadline is May 26, 2017
1. Completed Application: Complete all areas on this electronic application form.
2. Consent Form. This form can be downloaded from the PAAC website.
3. Short Essay: Up to one page in length (600 words), single spaced.
Why are you interested in traveling to the Philippines with this program? What do you hope to gain from this experience? How will your participation contribute to the program and to PAAC in the future?
4. School Transcript: Unofficial transcript copies are acceptable and can be obtained from your school. If you are in grade 9, upload one copy of your middle school transcript.
5. Recommendation form and letter (One only): Give the recommendation form (this form can be downloaded from the PAAC website) to your PAAC Club advisor, PAAC class teacher, or a school teacher who has known you for at least one year. If you are in the 9th grade, you may ask a teacher at your current school who would be willing to recommend you, or a teacher from 8th grade. Upload his or her recommendation with this electronic application.
Please note: Family members may not serve as references.
-Submit completed application and supporting documents by the application deadline: May 26, 2017.
-Applications will be reviewed.
-Finalists will be contacted for an in-person interview in May. Applicants who live on the neighbor islands will be interviewed via video conference.
-All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision following the interviews.
Caution: The name you provide under "Full Name" is what we will use to book your flight ticket. If the name written is different from what is in your passport, you will be responsible for paying the fee to change the name on the ticket.