This packet contains all of the forms, rules and regulations, and information needed for a candidate in the Southwestern College SGA Elections.
Dear SGA Candidate,
Thank you for applying to become a member of the Southwestern College Student Government Association. By merely involving yourself in this election process you are taking an important step in helping our college to become a better place. Regardless of the outcome, your efforts are respected and appreciated.
Enclosed in this Election Packet are all the necessary forms and rules regarding the election process. Please take the time to carefully review all rules and regulations concerning campaign materials, deadlines for forms etc. Once you have received this Election Packet and filed for a position, you will be responsible for upholding these rules and regulations. Failure to comply could result in disqualification from office.
The Elections Committee is committed to helping you run a fair campaign. Please feel free to contact any member of the committee with questions or concerns that you may have. Every attempt will be made to ensure that the entire process occurs in an environment of fair play and clear communication. We ask that this courtesy be extended by all participants to each other and the committee.
SGA Elections Committee
Timeline for the SGA Senate Elections
Packets available: Sunday, February 26
Packet Deadline: Friday, March 3 (packet due by 5 p.m.)
Campaign: March 6-7
* If you wish to campaign during Campaign Week, you must turn in your petition prior to posting. If you have questions contact email@example.com
Elections/Interviews: March 8 (week of)
Announcement: Friday, March 10
The election process is extremely selective. You will be required to complete this application, as well as:
1. Interview with Campus Life Director and Dean of Students (for hired positions only)
2. Provide a petition of 50 undergraduate, currently registered, student signatures to be considered for a position (for elected positions only - available in Election Packet)
3. Submit 1 letter of recommendation from a professor in your major and 1 letter of recommendation from a staff member (may not be a Student Affairs staff member)
4. Upload a professional headshot of the candidate (below)
5. Upload a typed, double-spaced, professionally written essay (below) that holistically responds to:
- What are your qualifications to be a candidate for the Southwestern College Student Government Association?
- What is your passion in life in relation to your major and what are your future plans? How will this passion help you in your position as an SGA officer?
- If you become a Student Government Officer, what are your plans and objectives for the upcoming year?
- Why should you run for office?
6. Some positions will require an interview with the current Student Government Association Officers, SGA Advisor, and members of the Student Affairs Staff.
Download Election Packet
(includes Election Rules, Training Process, Position Descriptions, Petition Signature Sign-up Sheet, Campaigning Information & Ideas)
Letter of Recommendation (for faculty or staff member)