- stevemakerAsked on November 29, 2016 at 03:50 PM
Mac OS 10.11.6, Safari 10.0.1
On the submissions page, looking at a submission, I often want to copy what was submitted in a form field, so I can paste into another app.
Trouble is, if I double click and drag (either direction) it selects the label of the field as well. All I want is the content - to get that I have to carefully click and stop dragging at just the right spot.
In the screenshot, I did the natural thing: double clicked on the first word and dragged to the last word. It selected the label - aargh!
Thanks for listening!
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on November 29, 2016 at 06:12 PM
Is it necessary that you double click on the text? Basically, you can select a text by clicking it once and then dragging the highlight until you have all the text that you wish to be copied highlighted.
- stevemakerAnswered on November 29, 2016 at 06:44 PMI think you should try it yourself to see what I’m experiencing.
Your method requires careful placement or else you get the label. It’s also slower than double-click and drag.
In contrast, I was able to copy the text "necessary that you double” from your response extremely quickly and with no unwanted extra.
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on November 29, 2016 at 08:43 PM
Thanks for the information, Steve.
Yes, I agree likewise that the question label gets included once the mouse is double-clicked on the answer. How about triple clicking it? It should highlight the whole text on the answer area only, even if the text there would happen to be a phrase.
Here's a sample:
- stevemakerAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 09:45 AMGood thought - I tried it and instead of just the word, it also copied a bunch of blank space - I put what it copied between quotes below.
- JotForm SupportdavidAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM
Unfortunately, the text that was copied in your last post did not come through. In any case, I tested selecting text from the submission view and triple clicking did select the full phrase. Copying that phrase by pressing control + c also worked quite well.
If that method does not work, you can also double click the first word, then. hold shift and click the last letter of the statement. Holding shift while clicking will select everything between what is currently select and what is clicked on.
- stevemakerAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 12:44 PMI should have send screenshots, as the HTML formatting that got copied made it look weird.
We don’t need to beat this into the ground - it just doesn’t work correctly on my Mac Safari. If you try it on the same OS-Browser, you’ll almost certainly get the same result. But a different OS-Browser WILL give different results - as I said, it works fine on Firefox.
Here are actual screenshots of what happens:
1) Triple click selects the text plus the following line and I think a bunch of HTML blank space:
2) Double click selects the label as well:
3) If I double-click, then shift-click the last letter, I get:
- JotForm SupportdavidAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 01:50 PM
If it works the way you would like in FireFox, I would recommend using FireFox. There may not be anything we can do on our end to change the way it functions in Safari.
- stevemakerAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 02:44 PMOk, thanks.