- sander_j4sAsked on June 25, 2012 at 09:44 AM
I'm using Google Docs Integration, and this has worked well untill now. Previously, when I submitted information to a form that used GDI, the submitted information was synchronised immediatly to GD.
When I do a submit now, the information doesn't sync with the spreadsheet..
When I remove the integration & add it again, the spreadsheet contains all the necesary information.
- jeanettebmzAnswered on June 25, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Could you please provide me with the URL of your form?
Also, you state you have tried reintegrating the form with no success. Does that mean the spreedsheet doesn't get further submissions after the integration?
- sander_j4sAnswered on June 25, 2012 at 02:49 PM
After reintegrating the form, the current submissions are synchronized to the spreadsheet. Further submissions do not get synchronized to the spreadsheet.
It's not only this form that does not work. It's all of my forms.. but I'm guessing it's the same problem for each form, so this links should suffice
- jeanettebmzAnswered on June 25, 2012 at 03:25 PM
I have made a clone of your form in order to make some tests, but I could not replicate the issue. My cloned form worked ok, I integrated it and sent 4 submissions. And they all showed up in my spreadsheet :
Here you have the link for mine, could you please send me a test (test 5) ?
- sander_j4sAnswered on June 26, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Ok, I sent you a test 5.
Could the problem be that I didn't upgrade to Google Drive yet?
EDIT: Upgrading to Google Drive doesn't work.. I removed all integrations of my forms, and deleted all the spreadsheets. I enabled GD integration again for the 'Sick Notice' form I gave you earlier, but it still doesn't work :S
- sander_j4sAnswered on June 26, 2012 at 03:50 AM
This is strange, it worked before :s
- jeanettebmzAnswered on June 26, 2012 at 09:49 PM
- sander_j4sAnswered on June 27, 2012 at 03:10 AM
the url is listed above
- sander_j4sAnswered on June 27, 2012 at 04:28 AM
I'm not sure what the problem was though. Could be a mistake on my end (most likely), but it might be a bug? If I find out it's a bug I'll make sure to report it so it can be fixed by the jotform developpers.
thx for the help!
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on June 27, 2012 at 07:48 AM
Thank you for updating us. I actually had experienced the same inconsistency in the google spreadsheet integration. Wherein 'some times' the initial integration was a hit or miss process.
BUT it was so intermitent that I could not exaclty attribute the cause to be coming from integration process. It might be also connection related or on the google end.
Please do report also immediately as soon as you can able to capture information that will point to the specific root cause of the issue.
Please inform us anytime if you have any other inquiry.