- QCECDataCollectionsAsked on December 17, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Hello JotForm Support,
I have recently received a request to only allow the resetting of form after the filled form is saved as a pdf file. It has been struggling me a little and hence would like to raise the question here to shed some light.
I tried breaking it down into two tasks (and thus two questions):
1. Thinking that the only way to generate the filled form as pdf is to print, I have added in a "Print Form" button via the use of the "Submit" form element. My question is then, how can we force the printer destination to be "Save as PDF" once the "Print Form" button is clicked and diverted to the print setting page? I'm also open to alternate ideas to not use "Print Form" if there is any other way to save the filled form into pdf.
2. In order to force user to print the form first before resetting I have brought in the "Reset" button from another "Submit" form element but I wonder if the hiding and showing (after "Print Form" is pressed) is feasible. Can you please kindly advise and provide instruction on how it can be done if the answer is affirmative?
Thank you very much in advance.
- JotForm Supportashwin_dAnswered on December 18, 2017 at 03:36 AM
#1. My question is then, how can we force the printer destination to be "Save as PDF" once the "Print Form" button is clicked and diverted to the print setting page?
Please note that this setting is your computer/laptop specific and we cannot configure it in form. You may like to take a look at the following guide which should help you: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028622/windows-10-how-to-set-a-default-printer
#2. In order to force user to print the form first before resetting I have brought in the "Reset" button from another "Submit" form element
Unfortunately it is currently not possible to show hide reset or print button specifically but we can show/hide submit button but I am not sure if I have understood your requirement correctly. Do you mean to allow user to reset or print the form without submitting form? The issue is that it is not possible to track if any specific button of form is clicked or not.
- QCECDataCollectionsAnswered on December 18, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Thank you very much for your reply, it was understood that the print setting is actually set within the computer (so I didn't put much hope) but the sharing of the guide is brilliant, I'll forward it through to see if my client is happy to default it to save to pdf in this case to make that happen.
As for the showing and hiding of the print and reset form, I understand it is being a strange requirement but the request of our client is to only provide an interface for user to response to the form and store it into their place as pdf without us hosting the submission (due to privacy requirement), and hence, the request to allow the printing of the form and then reset. I hope my explanation start to make sense here and see if that triggers any idea of ways to do it.
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on December 19, 2017 at 12:59 AM
We can probably assist you on adding a code if you like this idea.
Here is also a link on how you can get your form's full HTML source: https://www.jotform.com/help/104-How-to-get-the-Full-Source-Code-of-your-Form
Will look forward to your response.
- QCECDataCollectionsAnswered on December 19, 2017 at 01:32 AM
Thanks for getting back quickly, especially with an amazing idea.
Is there anything I need to provide to start learning how the code should be scripted? Please advise.
- JotForm Supportashwin_dAnswered on December 19, 2017 at 03:16 AM
There is no built in solution or script to achieve this but I will go ahead and try out this. I will get back to you if I am able to come up with the custom script to achieve your requirement.
- QCECDataCollectionsAnswered on December 19, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Thank you Ashwin,
I'm amazed to know that you guy are willing to support the product at this extended level, thank you so much for doing that and I'm glad to have picked JotForm among all those similar software that your product and service never disappoint.
Keep up the good work. :)