- childrenshealingAsked on January 25, 2018 at 03:11 PM
Our forms work beautifully on computers. However, when our supporters try to access/fill out the forms on their mobile phone (Apple and Android), various fields are missing. That is, it will show Address: but there will not be any boxes to fill in. This is happening on critical pages (event registrations and donations).
It is also changing the length of the fields that do show (in the screenshot you will see the "Mr. Ms. Dr." box is really really long.
The forms are embedded in our site (Wix platform)
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on January 25, 2018 at 04:26 PM
I tested your form on my Samsung Galaxy A5 and I was able to replicate the issue you reported. The same issue can be replicated with your standalone form - https://form.jotform.com/60064799572971. It is not fully responsive.
On my cloned form I was able to resolve this issue by adding a Mobile Responsive widget to the form. Please try the same.
Here is my form: https://form.jotform.com/80246483940964
Feel free to test it and clone it.
Hope this helps to solve the issue.
- childrenshealingAnswered on January 26, 2018 at 11:43 AMNew response received
I added the widget and the form works if it is viewed on the jotform.com
link. However, it is still not fully responsive when viewed through our
website (www.ChildrensHealingInsitute.org/events). It may be an issue with
So, I had to add a “click here” if the form doesn’t display properly to
link viewers to the Jot Form URL – which isn’t ideal, but will work for now.
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on January 26, 2018 at 12:59 PM
I checked your embedded form again and I also saw that the issue still persists. I inspected the settings of your form and I noticed that the fields that are causing the issue (address and email) are Shrieked inside of the Form Builder. Please set the Shrink option to OFF for those fields and test your embedded form again.
Hope this will help.
- childrenshealingAnswered on January 26, 2018 at 03:43 PMNew response received
That seems to have fixed it. Thank you!