Why the ID of the field in embedded form is not matching the ID of the form in builder?

  • Profile Image
    give2kids
    Asked on January 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM

    Our customers have been getting a page comes up (upon submitting their completed form) that has the error message "City is Required"
    even though they have filled that field out. I tried it and it was doing the same thing for me.

    However, the same form works fine in the form preview on JotForm.

    I have since turned off the requirement for the City field, and now the form
    goes through without a problem.

    However, this is not a solution, as we'd still like that field required.

    Please advise as to what is causing this.

  • Profile Image
    EltonCris
    Answered on January 30, 2018 at 01:15 PM

    The city field in your embedded form has incorrect field name and ID. It does not match in your standalone form. This is the reason why you are getting an error in that field.

    In your embedded form:

    Correct:


    Actually, the easiest way to fix this is to take again your form source code and re-embed it on your website.

  • Profile Image
    give2kids
    Answered on January 30, 2018 at 06:13 PM

    Thanks Elton, but how did that happen in the first place??

    I didn't touch the code.

  • Profile Image
    Jed_C
    Answered on January 30, 2018 at 08:15 PM

    Since you are using the form's source embed code, if you make any changes to your form like deleting a field and replacing it with a new one, you will need to get a new copy of the form source as it doesn't automatically updates. If the field ID was changes because you did some changes to your form, those changes won't automatically reflect on your site.

    Let us know if you have any questions or if you need further assistance. 

  • Profile Image
    give2kids
    Answered on January 30, 2018 at 08:33 PM

    As I stated, I made NO changes to the code / form, from my end.

    The form worked fine as of yesterday, 1/29 (based on a form response we received, through that form). 

    This is very confusing, and concerning. This should not have happened.
    If a donor had not reported this, we potentially wouldn't have known for
    days or weeks -- and lost many donations.

    Up to now (for years) we've been mostly pleased with JotForm.
    However, this is a weakness in your coding / system -- not something we did on this end.. If it happens again, we will be canceling.





  • Profile Image
    Nik_C
    Answered on January 31, 2018 at 03:04 AM

    We're sorry for any inconvenience.

    I checked your form and your page further and I found the same like my colleague, but, I noticed that Street and City in your form are exchanged with their names:

    So Street has the name addressCity45:

    1517384828Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.45

    And City has the name addressStreet:

    1517384841Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.45

    Which is opposite to the fields in the page:

    Street:

    1517385030Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.48

    And City:

    1517385259Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 8.48

    Another thing I noticed is that the Street address sublabel is changed, in the form is "Street" and on the page is "Street Address". 

    Did you recently change the label of those fields at least?


  • Profile Image
    give2kids
    Answered on January 31, 2018 at 12:26 PM

    Thanks for your reply, Nik -- Yes, I made a change yesterday. Thanks for pointing the
    areas out that need editing.

    However, the above is not relevant to the fact that the form was working fine on 1/29, and then didn't on 1/30. I had made no changes on those dates.

  • Profile Image
    Nik_C
    Answered on January 31, 2018 at 01:34 PM

    I understand, so I will forward this to our backend team for a possible insight on what could happen there.

    We'll keep you posted.

    Thank you!

  • Profile Image
    janberk
    Answered on February 05, 2018 at 03:02 AM

    We have investigated your form and the revision history. There are some changes in the form history but as you said none of them should update the field id.

    But we couldn't find a bug would cause this issue. It looks like a temporary glitch. You can use different embed methods to prevent this issue in the future. If you insist on this method, we would be happy if you observe the form for a few time and inform us if the issue occurs again.

  • Profile Image
    give2kids
    Answered on February 05, 2018 at 01:51 PM

    Thank you for looking into this, janberk.