- ValueservAsked on February 26, 2018 at 05:55 AM
On my form I created I would like the user to share their location to Emergency Services. I have found that the Location detected is nothing close to where I am. I am sending my location from an area in Ballitoville, SA and it is detecting Maydon Wharf that is almost 50km's away.
Please assist in this matter
- JotForm DevelopergizemAnswered on February 26, 2018 at 11:01 AM
The Google Maps API accuracy based on two things:
1. Location policy - Where the user allows the widget to access location information on the device.
2. The last location detected - If the user turned off their GPS, the last known location will be used, which is usually not accurate.
Also; if the GPS setting is not correctly set, it might not give an accurate location. If the IP address is shielded (i.e. some IP proxy is being used), it will detect a different IP location.
You can never get a strictly accurate location 100% of the time. Our GPS Location Widget works on this same process. If you have any further questions, let us know.
- ValueservAnswered on March 01, 2018 at 09:05 AM
This still do not make sence. How come the one moment my location shows 50kms away and the next 600 kms away. If the widget do not work, rather remove it. It is absolutely pointless having this "Location widget" if the location sent is one that is 600 km's from where you are??
- JotForm DevelopergizemAnswered on March 01, 2018 at 10:44 AM
I think this is not related to JotForm as I have mentioned above.
Google may use the IP address to guess the location. You can find the related information here.
If you're not satisfied with the results, you can ask people who fill your form select or write their exact location from the map. Then you can receive exact locations.
You may also search our other geolocation-related widgets here.