- jkbullockAsked on November 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I have a text field for name inputting on my form. I have many submissions already so I can't lose the existing data for that field. My question is: can I change the type of the field from "text" to "dropdown" so that the user can select their name from a list for accuracy of input, without losing the existing data for the text field?
- JotForm SupportNeilVicenteAnswered on November 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, this isn't quite possible yet. Instead of deleting the text box, hide it via injected CSS codes then add your new drop down field. The downside to this is that because these fields aren't merged, your reports will contain two separate columns for the old text box and the new drop down.
Anyway, to go about this:
1. Right-click on the textbox, then click Show Properties
2. In the Properties window, look at the field details then get the number in the field's IDs.
3. Copy that number then use it on the CSS guide below:
4. Inject the finalized codes to your form
Hope this helps!
- AllisonHubbardAnswered on November 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Is this still not possible? Do we still have to hide the question? I want to make a question from a scale to a radio button so we can explain each scale number rather then it just being a number. Thank you for your help!
- BenAnswered on November 24, 2014 at 01:31 PM
No, it is still not possible do change it in such manner. It would hide all the current entries if you remove the scale tool.
If you have any further questions please let us know.
- pasan12Answered on November 16, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Still not possible?
- JotForm SupportChriistianAnswered on November 17, 2015 at 03:32 AM
Unfortunately, changing a form field type to another type is not possible yet. There's already a ticket for this and it still marked as opened - http://www.jotform.com/answers/402752.
- keifferAnswered on June 12, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Is this possible yet?
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on June 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM
It is still not possible to change a form field type to another. We'll inform you as soon as we have updates on this matter.
- Deborah.MillerAnswered on November 18, 2016 at 01:44 PM
How about now?
- JotForm SupportJanAnswered on November 18, 2016 at 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, this is still not possible in the Form Builder. You still cannot change the form field type. We'll let you know via this thread once an update is available.
- Russell4513Answered on January 06, 2017 at 10:44 AM
Dude has been asking this question since 2012! It's a simple fix and you guys STILL have not done it. Does not instill a lot of confidence.
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on January 06, 2017 at 11:15 AM
We understand your concern that the length of time this has taken may be quite unacceptable for some. However, there are a lot of factors to consider which may affect the possibility of implementing this to this date. But once we have updates, we'll inform you right away.