What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Move Google spreadsheet after creationAsked by emilevdende on April 03, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I am almost done experimenting with my form and ready to use this in production. However there is one thing that does not work correctly with me:
I want the submissions of my form to end up in a Google spreadsheet and I know that I cannot force the file to be created in an existing folder OR make sure it ends up in a folder deeper than level 1.
So, moving the file just after it has been created seems like a solution for me. However this is not working, the connection seems to be broken after I move the file.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create form
2. Set up Google spreadsheet connection (make sure file ends up in root or some random folder)
3. Go to Google Drive and move the file to appropriate folder (in my case: root > clients > %clientname%)
4. Do a submission in the form
5. Check entries in spreadsheet in folder root > clients > %clientname%
Actual result: submission is not shown
- If I remove connection with Google and recreate it (remove the spreadsheet from Google Drive), the file is recreated and now it shows the submission(s) I have already done. Moving it to another folder breaks it again
- I can do the same with the Google Drive integration and this DOES still work when I move the folder to another location (connection remains)
In an ideal world, I could create the integration with the appropriate folders and locations with Google so that I don't need to move the files/folders manually. If this is not possible, moving the files and folders at any time while the form is live should be possible, changing the location should not affect the connection.
Please help or tell me which workaround to use for now!
Emile van den Ende
Some additional info:
- Could Google Drive "offline usage" be of any influence? I disabled it for now
- The folder in which the spreadsheet and files are located are shared with other people (view-only), could this cause any problem?
- Creating the folder with the submission PDF and the uploaded files takes quite long (shows up at least 5 minutes after the submission is completed on the form).
Moving the file from its original location will completely break the integration. I suggest you to create another spreadsheet on the location you want the submissions to go then just copy/paste every new submissions from the original sheet/location.
- Yes, when you re-integrate the form to Google Spreadsheet, all existing submissions will be carried over.
- Google Drive has completely different function than Google Spreadsheet. Google Drive will give you a Folder for every new submissions while spreadsheet only have one file/sheet.
If you want to separate each submissions, Google Drive would be the best option.
About the additional informations;
- It actually goes to your Folder right away. A delay will sometimes happen, maybe for some reasons i.e Server Process
Thanks for your answer. Copying the individual submissions (or even in batch) to a sheet in the desired location is not an option for me. Considering handling multiple clients/forms at the same time, this can cause a potential mess.
I am a bit confused though, in this thread, your colleagues (Jonathan and Jeanette) say that it IS possible to move the sheet after it's been created and that it will not break the integration...
I understand what you're saying about differences between Drive and Spreadsheet. But you cannot disagree that I need Drive (not meaning a JotForm-Drive integration but the product Drive) to get access to the Spreadsheet, right? Since I also have a file upload included in my form, I would want those files (submissions, uploaded files AND the spreadsheet) to be in the same parenting folder. The fact that the Drive integration creates a seperate subfolder per submission is not a problem, so my only goal here is to make sure that all related information from 1 form is budled in the same folder (which has some subfolders, of course).
I just checked my spreadsheet again and I can see that submissions ARE being published in the moved spreadsheet! Connection does not seem to be broken, but it's getting populated with an extreme delay (submission done at 8:47 PM, submission not yet in spreadsheet at 9:17 PM).
Can you please look into this delay? Or advice me in any way to try to fix this?
Thanks in advance.
Regarding moving the gdocs spreadsheet location after integration, I confirm that I was able to test this as working before. However, due to already many reiterations and version update done on the integration code, it can be possible also that this could not work anymore.
However, you have also just confirmed that it is still working and there was just a massive delay. So, I am till quite confident that it is indeed a working feature.
The delayed updating of the google spreadsheet is a current issue right now. It is not only on your end, therefore you cannot fix it for now.
I am escalating your issue to our next level support so that they can be attended to the soonest time.
You will be notified when new update is available.
Thanks for your reply and I am very relieved that this issue is not caused on my end.
I hope that you are able to fix this soon, or at least find the cause.
The issue is now opened to our developers list. We'll update you if the problem has been fixed.
Our apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused.
Thanks for reporting back. Today things are happening a LOT faster...spreadsheet fills immediately, files are being transferred with some delay, but acceptable (about 5 - 10 mins).
Thank you Emilie for the update about this information from your end and that is good to hear that it is working better now. Please let us know if any of this changes and gets worse for you but we hope not.