Not receiving notification emails

  • Profile Image
    Asked on April 14, 2011 at 09:22 AM

    I have been setting up my first form, and have not been receiving notification emails to the designated hotmail email address. I now don't even seem to be receiving the test emails. I have checked junk folders, I have deleted the email notification address and started again. I hope that you can supply somesupport with this. It is very frustrating

  • Profile Image
    Answered on April 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM


    I did some tests on your form and I was able to receive the test emails.  You may have not received your test emails due to the delayed transmission of emails from jotform to hotmail.  Please do check again in your junk mail folder.

    Another is that when you make tests, the sender of the email turns out coming from your email address. Hotmail uses SPF records to prevent third parties sending mail from non-authorised hotmail servers.

    When you made tests, it turns out that JotForm's mail server is trying to send an email in behalf of a hotmail domain.  And when the hotmail checked that the SPF records of the sender's server and the domain where it came from did not match, it triggered the email as spam.

    So I would suggest that you use the jotform email address as your email sender in your email notification to ensure that all will go to your inbox.

    Hope this helps.

  • Profile Image
    Answered on April 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM



    Thank you for your reply.

    I have changed the email sender to the Jotform no-reply address, and still don't appear to be receiving notifications, either from the tests I'm conducting from the form builder page, or from the site itself. I am checking both the inbox and junk inbox, locally through my mail program, and on the web based hotmail page. No notifcations.


    Any ideas?

  • Profile Image
    Answered on April 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM


    Thank you for sharing some additional information with us.

    When using an email program, I believe that an email program only downloads the emails received in the inbox and disregards emails that are sent to the junk mail folder.  When you login on your webmail, you will see the emails that you did not receive in the junk mail folder.

    Also, when making some test emails for your notification, the email sender in set is your own email address.  As I stated earlier this causes the SPF record conflict in hotmail that triggers it as spam, thus it goes to the junk mail folder.  When it goes to your junk mail folder, the email then won't be downloaded by your email client.

    If you try sending one actual submission, the sender will be from JotForm this time, and this will go to your inbox.

    It will also help if you can add to your address book and add it as well in your safe senders list in your web mail account.

    Hope this helps.

  • Profile Image
    Answered on April 14, 2011 at 01:08 PM

    Hello there,

    Perhaps I was not clear. I have checked email and junk mail both with my mail program AND via webmail. I have also tested by sending directly from the page where I have embedded the form AND through the test service you provide. I still have not been receiving emails. I do not believe this is a problem of emails mistakingly being marked as junk, as I have found other emails marked as junk today (thanks to signing up to additional services from other websites) and they have arrived promptly both in my mail application's junk mail folder AND on webmail. I think this is a problem at your end, rather than at mine.

    I would appreciate a resolution to this, or I will have to find another form builder.


  • Profile Image
    Answered on April 14, 2011 at 02:59 PM

    I do have a hotmail email address and I still keep on receiving email notices from all forms including when I tested yours.  It just kept on going to junk when I tested your form and your email address was used as the sender. 

    Would it be possible that you have blocked emails from JotForm? Or your email filter settings in your webmail wrongly configured.

    I also have checked the email logs and so far the last email that was sent went through properly:

    Apr 14 11:11:48 monk sendmail[19787]: p3EFBmhc019787:, (1002/1003), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
    pri=32833, relay=[] [], dsn=2.0.0,
    =Sent (p3EFBmJL019788 Message accepted for delivery)
    Apr 14 11:11:49 monk sm-mta[19797]: p3EFBmJL019788: to=<>,
    delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=123030,
    [], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (mail from IP soft failed sender ID check.
    Please ensure this IP is authorized to send mail on behalf of [])

    Apr 14 11:18:51 monk sendmail[24340]: p3EFIplG024340:,
    ctladdr=jotform (1002/1003), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=33341,
    relay=[] [], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (p3EFIpQ6024345 Message accepted for

    Apr 14 11:18:52 monk sm-mta[24350]: p3EFIpQ6024345: to=<>,
    ctladdr=<> (1002/1003), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,
    mailer=esmtp, pri=123531, [], dsn=2.0.0,
    stat=Sent ( <> Queued mail for delivery)

    Please do check your hotmail webmail settings from this user guide as this might help:

    But none the less I will submit a ticket to our development team to look into this further.

    Thank you for your patience.