Spreadsheet to Form Widget - Internal Error

  • Profile Image
    nrasmus
    Asked on October 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM

    Hello,

    We've been using Jotform as a replacement for registration for a myriad of our virtual events since the COVID-19 pandemic began. The process uses two separate forms which are fairly complex on their own (one for adult events, and one for children's events). Both forms have performed as intended from implementation up to this point, barring a couple hiccups with Jotform which have been fixed by erasing and re-creating the affected fields.

    As a brief breakdown of how the form functions: the users see an embedded version of the form which url encodes data for the EventID field, which is then passed to the Spreadsheet to Form widget. The user clicks on the button for the widget to populate the form and continue with the process, complete with logic for event times, registration caps, and custom email event invitations.

    However, today I'm receiving an Internal Error (see screenshot) from the Spreadsheet to Form widget on both forms. Both forms use their own separate Excel spreadsheets, and those sheets haven't been changed in the widget in over a week, but this symptom cropped up this morning on both forms simultaneously. Attempting to update the spreadsheet, or to erase the widget and recreate it haven't yielded useful results, as the error persists.

    Is it possible something in the backend with this widget has changed to cause this? That's the only thing I can think of that would affect multiple forms using the widget, as nothing in our process has changed and it was working previously.


    The forms in question are:

    https://form.jotform.com/202035224791145

    https://form.jotform.com/202124631384144


    A screenshot showing the error is attached, and more can be provided upon request.


    Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

    -Josh

    Screenshot
  • Profile Image
    nrasmus
    Answered on October 26, 2020 at 03:46 PM

    As a stopgap I was able to get the widget complying again by taking my datasets and copy/pasting as values, then downloading the .xslx Excel output from Google Sheets. Originally up to this point the data was being brought into the widget by a .xslx Excel spreadsheet, which was downloaded as Excel from a Google Sheets spreadsheet that got the data as an importrange() function from the working sheet our staff uses to update the content.

    I wonder if there was a recent change to how Google Sheets handles exporting to other formats.

    Any further light you can shine on the issue from your end would be appreciated, on the off chance the problem recurs. Thanks.

  • Profile Image
    Niko_N
    Answered on October 26, 2020 at 08:41 PM

    Hi,

    We apologize for the inconvenience.

    I've tested a Spreadsheet to form widget using several excel documents and was not able to replicate the issue.

    However, the "Internal Error" message is displayed when the widget is not able to fetch data from corresponding uploaded document and generally, the issue comes from the Access code column configuration of the widget.

    Since you managed to fix the issue, we are not able to replicate it on your forms as well. However, you can observe further, and if you reencountered the issue, I would suggest you share the excel file you have uploaded in the spreadsheet to form widget to us, and we will take a look.

    Thank you!

  • Profile Image
    nrasmus
    Answered on October 27, 2020 at 10:41 AM

    While I was testing this issue I did make a clone of the form for further testing just in case. That form can be found at https://form.jotform.com/202995478949176. Using the spreadsheets that were causing the error with it still presents the error, if you'd like to test further. I can share the old versions of the sheets that were causing the error -- what would be the preferred method of sharing it?

    Thanks for looking into this.

  • Profile Image
    FelipeSantana
    Answered on October 27, 2020 at 12:00 PM

    Hello @nrasmus,

    Our apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

    After checking the form you have shared, I can see that the "Internal Error" error message is still appearing when I try to use the Spreadsheet to Form Widget. As my colleague explained, this error only occurs when there is an issue pulling the data using the Access Code column.

    1603814150_5f98430656542_Screenshot (345

    As you can see, the internal error is pointing to the Sheet!A1 position which is the point of reference for the access code column. I would suggest that you make sure you are entering the correct unique code and also you can try using shorter Unique Codes for pulling in the data.

    Kindly share the document with us so we can download it and test this further on our end. Please upload the file to your Google cloud and then send us the download link here on this thread.

    We look forward to your response.