- skyrunAsked on October 16, 2013 at 07:02 PM
* note: before you tell me you can set a max file size for image uploads, please don't. i know that :-)
for image uploading to work well on a form (just look at the forum for the dozens/hundreds of questions on this topic), there need to be 2 features imho that are present on most any image uploader:
1) need to be able to have photos resized to a max width or height when uploaded. there are tons of free opensource libraries (GD is most common) that do this easily on the server side. doesn't speed up the download of large files, but doesn't require the user to resize before uploading and provides a consistent image size for displaying. 99+% of users don't know how to resize before uploading and their images come off their cameras quite large. and when they're large, they create problems when displaying too. bad all 'round.
*** There are also js scripts that will actually compress a large image at the browser before uploading (!) here's one i found https://github.com/brunobar79/J-I-C with a quick search and i'm sure there are others. that way even the download is fast! JCE's image manager does this beautifully. you can upload a 10Mb photo from a camera ready for the web (so abt 15K) in seconds...
judging by the forum posts on this topic, this seems like it would be a HIGHLY DESIRED upgrade for folks.
2) related to the feature above, but needed with or without it, there needs to be a download progress bar on the image downloader. the submit button goes to a static 'please wait...' but there is no feedback to the user that anything is happening... even the browser spinner doesn't spin. unless you're a techie, you'll sit there for a few minutes, then will close the browser tab, or hit refresh, or go to another site, etc and lose the form. then people call me. please add a progress bar so they stop calling me!!! ;-)
- JotForm Supportashwin_dAnswered on October 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM
I hear your concern. Currently our image tool does not have the functionality to resize the images. I am sending a feature request to our backend team.
I can't assure you that this feature request will be accepted or when it will be implemented. If we receive any information on this feature list, we will update you here.
As we cannot answer multiple questions in one thread, we would appreciate if you start a new thread for your second question on the progress bar.
That would help us to give your proper assistance and at the same time it would help other user with having the same problem.
- rirvingAnswered on December 14, 2013 at 03:00 PM
The photo resize would be a very useful feature. This is the main reason people contact me with problems. As skyrun says many users do not really understand this or have have familiarity with the software available to do it easily.
Could it be done as a widget?
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on December 14, 2013 at 08:02 PM
We would appreciate if you could post your similar request to a new thread so we can add it to our feature request list. The more users requesting the same feature, the higher it would get a chance to be implemented.
We understand you guys are eager to have this feature available but as of the moment it is still on the pipeline waiting for a higher priority so our developers would be able to start right away. Rest assured, you will be informed on your thread once this is added to Jotform.