What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Feature request. Flexible field label widths.Asked by NRCsupport on February 28, 2014 at 07:04 AM
I know that I can do this by injecting CSS code, but it is messy and I believe it could be simplified. I'd like to achieve three things, and I believe that the proposal below provides them all.
1. With top labels, I'd like the default width to be the same size as the field itself, so that the field spacing is not affected by long labels on some fields.
2. With left (and probably right) labels, I'd like to be able to limit the label space to what is needed, so as to compact the line when is contains multiple shrunken fields.
3. With all labels, I'd like the ability to put the entire label onto a single line even if it is longer than the default width.
4. I'd like to be able to hide the label on the screen, but let it include text which could appear on the response and notification emails
My proposal is as follows:-
1. Each field label should have a default width depending on the label position. For left and right hand labels, the default width would be the defined label width for the form. For top labels, the default label width would be the width of the field that it refers to. (This meets requirement 1 above)
2. Allow the user to change the default width for a particular label, including setting it to zero. (This meets requirement 4 above, and also allows for different layouts on partucular parts of the form)
3. There should be the option to fit the label to the text. This would set its minimum width to zero (with no defined maximum width) so that for short text the label would be no longer than needed, and for long text it would be as wide as necessary. (This meets requirement 2 and 3 above)
4. It would be helpful, but not vital, for the option to fit the label to the text to be on by default for shrunken fields with left or right hand labels.
I am opening a feature request ticket about this.
If you have CSS Inject code or an example form for the changes you are making it would help us to make sure that the change we make would be the right changes.
here is the relevent bit of CSS code
here is the form number 40503979576971
The first bit of CSS hides the label to the right of a checkbox. I need the label to exist, because I want it in the emails but not on the screen. This could have been acheived by setting the label width to zero.
The other bits are used to adjust the spacing on a line which contains fields for title, forename and surname. The title field originally had a longer name (something like "title (mr/mrs etc)" ). But this was wider than the title field itself, and disrupted the layout. My solution was to shorten the title, but it would have been good to have an easy way to get a narrower multiline label.
I am not very expert at css, but I believe that item 3 of my proposal would be met by setting width-min to zero when the option is in use. width-min overrides width,so there would be no need to delete any width setting when the width-min is in use.
I hope that helps.
Thank you for the feedback.
It has been appended to the feature request.
May I enquire if my request is being considered?
Yes, your request is being considered but I believe as something to perhaps be implemented in the future.
I cannot assure you that it's going to be implemented nor a timeframe if this is to happen, but our developers will decide according to priorities.
Let us know if you need further assistance.