- daveoreardonAsked on April 23, 2014 at 03:08 AM
Australia, where I am based, has just introduced stringent new privacy laws. This requires us to know exactly where our data is stored. When my customers submit data via a form I've created (and those customers may submit that form from anywhere in the world), where is thedata stored please?
- daveoreardonAnswered on April 23, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Thank you but this image does not really answer my question.
1. I am in Australia. What region is that - Other or Asia?
2. I login to Jotform.com so none of the domain names listed are familiar to me.
3. The domain name doesn't tell me geographically where the database is located.
4. I assume that it is my location that governs where the data is stored, not the location of the people who submit data. Is that right?
The sort of answer I'm looking for is "Your data is stored on AWS in Amazon's Virginia North data centre in the USA".
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on April 23, 2014 at 05:14 AM
I apologize and you were right. The domain name does not exactly constitute to geographical location.
#1. To my knowledge Australia is indeed part of Asia region. So, the data center closer to you is in Asia
#2. and #3
Since you are paying subscriber, the domain being assigned is consolidated. What I meant is, let us not rely on the domain name for the location of the data center.
#4. Yes. This is correct. The closest data center in your location is where data will be stored.
"Your data is stored on AWS in Amazon's Virginia North data centre in the USA".
I am not able to confirm an exact answer to this. I'll ask about this to my higher ups.
I will update you on this question.
- daveoreardonAnswered on April 23, 2014 at 06:56 PM
Thank you, I look forward to your answer (where in Asia my data is being stored). Cheers
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on April 23, 2014 at 09:56 PM
We do store our data on different datacenters in two continent. (2 datacenters in US, and 1 datacenter in Germany). We used AWS in Amazon.
For your further information, I have raised this to our developers so they can provide you more details. Thank you!
- daveoreardonAnswered on April 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Thank you. We're getting closer to a definitive answer!
Given I'm in Australia, I'm looking forward to finding out which of those three AWS data centres my data is located in.
- JotForm FounderaytekinAnswered on April 24, 2014 at 04:43 AM
Your data is saved in United States.
- daveoreardonAnswered on April 24, 2014 at 05:14 AM
Thank you, but due to Australian Privacy Laws I am required to know where in the US. You have 2 AWS data centres there, I believe, but which one is used to store my data please?
- JotForm FounderaytekinAnswered on April 24, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Incero Data Center:
And, AWS US East (Northern Virginia)
Data is replicated between these two locations for high availability.
- daveoreardonAnswered on April 24, 2014 at 07:13 PM
That's just the info I needed. Thank you very much.