- leeborkmanAsked on August 04, 2014 at 01:40 AM
When a text or textarea field contains a "<" less-than angle-bracket symbol, the captured data for that field is truncated at the "<" symbol. Confusingly, the email confirmations include all of the data, but the data stored in the Submissions and exported as PDF, Excel or CSV does NOT include the missing data.
An example is form submission 282918471321315823 in my Fixing Country Roads form. the Project Definition field should contain "Currently load limited to <146 tonnes with a further reduction being considered.", but instead ends with "Currently load limited to ". I can see the full response in my email notification, but all the versions that I export, in whatever format, from JotForm, are missing the rest of the text.
So, I have a couple of hundred crucial form submissions that may or may not be missing vital information. So, a few questions:
1) Can this missing text be recovered?;
2) Can this be fixed in future at your end?;
3) In the meantime, can I implement any validation/precalculation that would remove/replace the offending "<" characters;
4) Any other suggestions?
Thanks very much,
Transport For New South Wales (NSW State Government)
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on August 04, 2014 at 06:31 AM
The issue happens when the left angle (<) or less-than angle is added close to the next word - no spacing, for example: <146. If it's added as < 146, then it's fine.
I will create a ticket and submit it to our developers. Our developers should be able to check this further.
1. Unfortunately, we do not have a control to our backend so we can't check for the data. I think we should wait for our developers to comment about this one.
2. I am sure our developers will do something about this as this may affect some other users.
3. For the meantime, changing your text editor to Rich Text should fix the problem:
Thank you for reporting this problem. If there are updates, you should know it via this thread.
- alp_denizAnswered on August 05, 2014 at 10:07 PM
The issue should already be fixed by now. Thank you very much for letting us know.
- tfnswAnswered on August 13, 2014 at 12:52 AM
The issue is certainly not yet fixed. I have just tested on a brand new form. I submitted the text "I have <5 and >10 people", and the result showing in the data is "I have 10 people". Everything between the two angle brackets, inclusive, is omitted. in the automated emails, I see the FULL text.
- JotForm SupportTitusNAnswered on August 13, 2014 at 08:21 AM
I have re-opened the ticket - our developer will respond as soon as he is available.
Thank you for your patience.
- alp_denizAnswered on August 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Hello Mr. Borkman,
I did a second test and it displayed your input text as expected. Could you please clear your cache and try again? Email content should be the same as displayed content.
- tfnswAnswered on August 14, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Could you please tell me what kind of field you are testing with? I'm just using a simple text box, not a textarea, not rich text... just the most basic text input field.
And I get the problem showing on all browsers, all my end-users across the country.
Could you please enter some test data in my test form here?:http://www.jotformpro.com/form/42237503317953
thanks very much,
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on August 14, 2014 at 02:19 AM
The original issue was related to the Text Area field (plain text and full screen mode). You're now reporting an issue with regards to the TextBox field. I moved it as a new thread, please check it here: http://www.jotform.com/answers/416016.
- tfnswAnswered on August 14, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Ah, ok, I can confirm that the problem is fixed, but only for textarea.
Thanks very much for your quick response.