What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Apostrophes in text area is replaced by some other characters in submission excel.Asked by robinowsley on August 20, 2014 at 05:37 PM
I just did another download to check. The problem is still happening in my download. New submissions (since the above post saying the problem was fixed) and the older ones as well, both I'm seeing the substitution in the viewing window on this site as well as within my Excel download.
Can you please share to us which of your form you are having this specific issue? I am sorry, since you have a lot of forms already, I am not able to identify the form that I can scan for the reported issue.
It will greatly help also if you can include a screenshot of the random characters appearing in your downloaded submissions or in the form's submission page view.
You can use the Insert/edit image tool to include images in your message.
We will wait for your updated response.
It's all of the forms.
However, I just checked yet again, and NOW, the garbage characters are no longer appearing on the submission page on this site, but they are still appearing in the Excel download. I checked individual submissions, the same ones with the garbage in the download, it's NOW no longer on the submission page on this site. That's changed in the meantime.
Again, it's just ' wherever an apostrophe is supposed to be. It's across a lot of submissions, so I don't think it's something unique on the end of a few users. If you really need me to take a screenshot of an Excel worksheet with "'" in one of the fields, I guess I can research how to take a screenshot (I don't remember offhand), but that seems sort of unnecessary and silly, but please do let me know, thanks.
Thank you for the clarification.
I am not sure what is your current OS configuration so I can at least give the steps how you can do screenshot on your desktop.
I searched for guides on the internet instead and found this 2 articles that should help.
1. For Mac OS - http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Mac-OS-X
2. For Windows - http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows
I checked your form http://www.jotformpro.com/form/41414718610953 and downloaded the Excel submission, but I was not able to reproduced the character issue when apostrophe was used on the data.
Please refer to screenshots below during my test.
In the form's submission page view
this is how it appears on the Excel spreadsheet also.
You can also create an Excel Report so that you can share to us the URL of the report. This way we can all check the Excel spreadsheet itself.
Check this user guide https://www.jotform.com/help/101-How-to-create-an-Excel-Report
We will wait for your updated response.
I probably could have / should have specified before that the problem occurs in freetext fields, not the multiple choice fields, like the one you referenced above. Yes, it did still happen with my latest Excel download from the same form referenced above, again, in some of the freetext fields later on the form.
(so apparently, it's a glitch with user-entered text, not apostrophes on the form that were a multiple choice response)
I'll retain your suggestions for taking a screenshot for future reference, but I lost patience with trying to deal with this on the jotform end today. I'm just doing automated data cleaning now to get rid of all the garbage after I download my forms (find garbage, replace with apostrophe). I don't have any more time for this today, but hopefully the info I've shared is helpful for someone else, because if I'm having this problem, experience suggests I'll not be the only one.
Thank your for the clarification and I'm sorry for the trouble caused to you.
I did several tests and I am able to replicate the issue you are having. If you input apostrophes in the textarea field and download the submission excel, it seems to be getting replaced by '
I am reporting it to our back end team. We will get back to you as soon as the issue is fixed.
Thank you for providing this detail to us, robinowsley.
I did not realize that the problem happens in excel documents as well so I was not able to resolve it right away. However, as you provided us more details, we were able to point it out and had it resolved. This should be fixed now.
If you find further issues on any of your forms, please do let us know.
Thanks and warm regards,
I have moved your question to a new thread and you will be answered here: http://www.jotform.com/answers/458633