- JotForm Supportashwin_dAnswered on November 17, 2014 at 01:31 AM
Have you checked our "Random Value Generator" widget already? Please check it and see if this fits in your requirement. You can configure it to show numeric / alphanumeric / letter or all character in the unique code it generates randomly.
Hope this helps.
Do get back to us if this does not work for you and we will provide you other options.
- IanRmAnswered on November 17, 2014 at 01:51 AM
My understanding of the term RANDOM is the opposite to SEQUENTIAL
My need is 100% for SEQUENTIAL number creation that is visible on the form.
EXAMPLE: 2001, 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010, etc etc.
My understanding having looked at "Random Value Generator" is that there is not an option to generate a sequential series of numbers commencing from a specific number?
Do you agree? might you have another solution please.
SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING - VISIBLE ON THE FORM - PLEASE?
- JotForm Supportashwin_dAnswered on November 17, 2014 at 03:28 AM
If you want to unique / random number, it is possible but unique sequential number that seems to be a tricky requirement. If you want to generate a sequential number and display it on form, I am not sure how it can be achieve without a considerable amount to programming.
Please be noted that a sequential number can only be generated after the form is submitted. If you want to generate it on load of form, there will be a loads of issue. Please think about this scenario:
1. Last sequence number generate was 50.
2. 10 users of yours loads your form simultaneously. Which sequence number you would like to display?
3. If you want to display all users a unique number but say only 5 of them actually submits the form. It would require a lot of programming effort to achieve this which will anyway not possible within the form builder.
Can you please explain the requirement on why do you need to display the unique id on form before the form is actually submitted? You can always display it in your submission emails, thank you message etc.
We will wait for your response.
- IanRmAnswered on November 17, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Thanks ashwin_d - I understand now
On that basis we will just use the hidden option!
- ShadaeAnswered on November 17, 2014 at 05:50 PM
On behalf of my colleague, you are most welcome.
Please feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.
Thank you for using JotForm!