- sarahceeAsked on December 30, 2014 at 01:15 PM
It seems a user on my form wasn't able to pay with an Amex card, but had a successful transaction with his Mastercard. He had received a message saying Amex wasn't supported on the website. Is there some kind of problem with my form? Amex is offered as one of the payment options.Page URL:
- ShadaeAnswered on December 30, 2014 at 02:06 PM
I am seeing that AMEX is set as one of the accepted cards on your payment form.
The error message that your user received would have been generated by PayPal. Did the user provide you with the exact error message that they received? That would allow us to identify the cause of the issue.
There maybe some limitations to your PayPal account, or there are certain settings that would need to be adjusted.
We await your response. Thank you.
- galaawardsAnswered on April 08, 2015 at 04:14 AM
Paypal does not accept accept Amex in Paypal Pro. Period. See what they said to me:
PayPal Pro does not support Amex. The main reasons for this are:
· - The excessive charges that Amex & Discover demand for the use of their cards
· - The Amex chargeback policy which allows buyers to file a chargeback up to 2 years after a transaction, therefore offering very little certainty to merchants such as yourself
· - The fact that both Amex & Discover only make up 1% of the market
Unfortunately at present, Shopify still have Amex as an option, despite it not being supported. There is nothing that PayPal can do about this as it is cosmetic at Shopify’s end, however I’m sure it will change.
It is unlikely that you will have many customers who wish to use Amex, however, if you do, you can direct them to the ‘PayPal Express Checkout’ option on your checkout flow. This payment option does support both Amex & Discover, just not the Pro option.
- ShadaeAnswered on April 08, 2015 at 08:34 AM
Thank you for providing this valuable information, it is truly appreciated.
Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance.