What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Calculating total for Stripe payment tool while in test modeAsked by bendproweb on January 14, 2015 at 05:55 PM
I have created a form that has 4 products for sale. Here is the form id 50136574156959
Using the form calculation I'm sending a total to a Stripe payment gateway. It is in test mode right now so that I can work on it. For some reason when I submit the form it changes the total to 0 and nothing is being charged to Stripe. Out of 7 test runs through the form the correct total has only gone through one time. Is it possible that test mode is causing an issue and it will work fine once the live keys are being used?
During the test faze yes, it should not send you to Stripe to make the payment. You can use the credit card numbers shown in the Stipe Wizard while testing to help you set it all up.
Once you switch to accept the payments you will be able to properly pars the credit card orders.
Do let us know if you have any further questions and we would be happy to assist.
Thanks. That's kind of what I expected. The fact that it went through once and showed up in my Stripe test dashboard made me wonder what was going on.
I just updated the form with live Stripe keys and the charges aren't going through. The form calculation fills the Stripe payment field but when you submit the form nothing gets charged. I need the form to have a minimum charge of $5 so the Stripe field and submit buttons stay hidden until at least $5 worth of items are selected. Can you please take a look and see what might be going wrong?
Can you please give us the link to the page on your website where the jotform is, if you are using the jotform on it, or are you having these issues when you access it directly?
I'm having problems with both. Directly and on the page. Here is where the form is embedded. I used an iframe to embed it. http://goo.gl/kchkWq
I took a look at the jotform on your website and I see that both payment processing tool and submit button are hidden until you gather at least $5, otherwise another field is shown with the running / current total.
Can you please tell us if you have found the way to resolve this or if you are still experiencing the same thing - that your submit button and payment processing tool are both still showing up even if not at $5 USD?
I have those two fields hidden until the total goes over $5 so that it isn't possible to check out for less than $5. The total box that shows up before the total hits $5 is the form calculation field. I just removed the condition to hide the form calculation field called "total" so it is always visible and it works now.
Will the number in the form calculation field not pass through to a payment gateway if it is hidden? As long as it's working I'll just leave it visible, just curious for any more forms I make in the future.
I am glad that it is working for you. The Form Calculation is built in mind that most of the time it will be hidden, so it should work both hidden and shown on the jotform.
If you have the issue while it is hidden do let us know, but while I was testing there was no issue and the total was correctly updated even if it was hidden.
If you keep experiencing the same issue, I would suggest checking this guide on how to clear your browser cache as it might be the one causing the issue (since as I have mentioned, it was working properly for me).
Thanks for your help Ben. I think I'll make a new form just to play around with. Even with the calculation field hidden the total would correctly update like it should. The issue was that the total wasn't actually getting charged when the form was submitted. I hadn't thought about emptying my cache though. I'll make sure to try that when I'm experimenting.