- website053Asked on February 23, 2015 at 05:49 PM
- JotForm Support ManagerJeanetteAnswered on February 23, 2015 at 07:18 PM
However, SSN collection is not illegal per se. According to this site https://www.privacyrights.org/my-social-security-number-how-secure-it#11
So, in most States, there is no law that prevents businesses from requesting SSN, and there are few restrictions on what businesses can do with it.
Nevertheless, some States have imposed restrictions on a business soliciting the SSN.
Online form builders, including JotForm have been used for identity theft in the past. We go to great lengths to prevent this. That is why our Terms will mention SSNs are considered as a Phishing activity.
Therefore, when you do request SSN, chances are that our automated phishing detector will flag the form(s) and suspend the account. If this happens you'll have to contact support to white list the form and reactivate the account, explaining the purposes of the form(s).
These are some examples of businesses that require a Social Security number for legitimate purposes:
• Insurance companies
• Credit card companies, lenders, and any other company receiving a credit application from you
• The three main credit reporting agencies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian
• Any company that sells products or services that require notification to the IRS, including:
- Investment advisors
-Real estate purchases
-Financial transactions over $10,000, such as automobile purchases; and other financial transactions
Moreover, you need to know that since we do store the information in your account, anyone with access to it, would also have access to social security numbers. So, in the event of a security breach of your account this could be an issue.
Please follow these recommendations in order to help us to whitelist your forms:
1. Embed the form using SSL method (http://www.jotform.com/help/63-How-can-I-receive-SSL-Submissions)
2. Add a sort agreement and/or an e-signature field to the form, so your customers will agree to provide their SSN along with personal info.
Here are some widgets you can add to the form (signature fields): http://widgets.jotform.com/search/signature