- petersnewjobsAsked on March 22, 2015 at 07:33 AM
My objective is to use the MailChimp/PayPal integration to automatically add a purchaser's email to a MC list when they successfully complete a purchase.
1. I have enabled PayPal IPN and filled it in with the MailChimp list URL.
2. I have also enabled JotForm IPN Relay URL filling it in with the same MailChimp list URL.
3. When I do a test payment and review the IPN history, I can see, as expected that JotForm overrides the MailChimp URL in PayPal. The purchase is successful and I receive all the appropriate email notifications, both as the buyer and vendor.
4. However, the last step involving the JotForm IPN Relay URL fails. There is no update to the MailChimp list with the email of the purchaser.
This would seem to indicate that the IPN Relay feature is not passing on the IPN information to MailChimp.
Can you resolve this? Really like the JotForm interface but having new customers automatically added to our mailing list is critical.
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on March 22, 2015 at 04:29 PM
Thank you for providing us a detailed explanation.
But from what I understand on the process, I think it will not work using the Paypal IPN URL as the means to add the respondent/purchaser to your MC mailing list.
On the other hand, by integrating the form to MailChimp using the default integration process, should add the purchaser to the Mailing list.
Have you already tried using the MailChimp Integration as described on the user guide?
I suggest you try the MC integration as is first, and checked if form respondents were being added to your MC list as intended.
Inform us if the integration is not working as intended.
As for the Paypal IPN, you can use also as is.
Let us know if you encounter any issue on this setup.
- petersnewjobsAnswered on March 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Thank you detailed response and what I think was an explicit "this won't work" answer. However, I just want to clarify a few things before I rule out JotForm which would be too bad.
To clarify my process.
1. Someone purchases a subscription using JotForm/PayPal integration. Works great. Looks great.
2. I need to automatically (invisible to purchaser) take their name and email and add it to a MailChimp list.
3. The purchase action proceeds and drives the MailChimp list update.
If not IPN Relay, is there another way? Considering Zapier but unclear how this would work.
I can cut JotForm out of the process and just use PayPal/MailChimp integration. However, I really like JotForm better than native PayPal forms and would like to see if this can be done.
I'm surprised I'm the only one attempting this (payment -> add to list) but that may be the case.
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on March 23, 2015 at 12:55 PM
You should be able to add the information from your Jotform to your MailChimp list by simply integrating your form to MailChimp. Please check this guide:
You don't need to use IPN Relay URL method and don't need a third party website like Zapier to do this. Integrate your form to MailChimp and that's it.
But one thing to note since the form involves a payment. The submitter will be added to your MC list only when the payment is successful. If no payment is made, that particular submission will be added to your form's Incomplete Payment list. For more information about incomplete payment, check these guides:
But just in case, do you prefer to use the IPN Relay method? Let us know and we will check this further.
- petersnewjobsAnswered on March 25, 2015 at 05:36 PM
This is fantastic!!! Thanks so much.
I've taken a few days to play with the JotForm/MailChimp integration and it is just humming along. Our JF PayPal form handles the payment and using the MC integration, the purchaser is automatically added to our mailing list. Thanks again for directing me to the right articles on how to do it.
Of course, no good deed should go unpunished :-) I would like to do more but not sure how or if I can. A purchaser can go into one of two groups in our MC list. It's not something that can be predetermined (per the JotForm/MC integration) but there is information in the JotForm/PayPal transaction based on what they purchase to determine the MC group. Is there a way to make this happen? Right now, I have them default to one group which represents about 80% of the transactions. It still means I need to correct 20% but would like to fully automate this decision process.
- JotForm SupportBDAVIDAnswered on March 25, 2015 at 06:59 PM
What you are trying to accomplish would required enabling the MC integration to have the option to send data to two different list, also conditional logic would be needed in order to determine to which list the data should go.
These capabilities are not contemplated in the integration. If you want to, we could send your request to our development team, if it is approved, there would not be estimated time for it's implementation.
- petersnewjobsAnswered on March 26, 2015 at 12:16 AM
No, it's only one MC list but it has two groups. I'm playing with hidden fields and conditions and I'm almost there. Based on the type of purchase, I can automatically fill a field in JotForm and transfer that information to the corresponding field in the MC list. So far so good.
However, this doesn't work for a MC field that is a group (which are the ones I want to update). These MC fields are not offered as form fields to match against the JotForm fields. When you first confirm the JF/MC integration, the groups are offered up as choices but it's forcing you to preselect versus selecting one of them based on purchase choice. Am I doing something wrong?