- UoPeopleAsked on May 06, 2015 at 08:22 AM
We have some forms with a few fields of large text boxes to fill, and when exporting the submissions to excel this results with very wide columns that are hard to read.
Is it possible to have the export with some sort of max column width and a text-wrap configuration?
- CharlieAnswered on May 06, 2015 at 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, there is no settings to do this when exporting the submissions as an excel file, you will need to make the adjustments directly by opening the excel sheet and applying the formats there.
- UoPeopleAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 02:40 AM
I would like to put in a feature request for this. I think it will benefit many users.
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 05:27 AM
From what I read above you want to define max width of columns and you want them to be wrapped. I don't think that this would be user friendly because it would be hard to define what column needs to be wrapped and also it would be hard to define max width of column because that would be different form user to user.
Can you please explain in more details your request?
Looking forward to your answer.
- UoPeopleAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 08:42 AM
I guess what we had in Forms Central which was good is that the submissions were displayed in an "excel like" table presentation which a default width (that can be changed manually) for each column and text-wrapping already enabled. The export would lead to an Excel file exactly like the display on the website (actually now I understand it's an XML opened in excel with an XLS suffix).
I hope this is clear.
- BenAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM
OK. So this would be a new type of Excel report or a different report with the option to export to Excel.
Since this is something that would impact over 1.000.000 of users that were with us before I can not guarantee that something like that would be implemented into existing Excel report - nor if it would be a separate option neither.
I will however raise this as such, but please feel free to add to it if needed:
1. to have a column width same for all fields no matter of their size (example 150px)
2. manual change/update of the column width is possible for each column
3. all changes to column widths is automatically transferred to exported Excel file
4. text in all cells is set with wrap properties (they take as much space as needed with the text that would go to the right to next cell, goes into a new line and expands the height of the cell).
As mentioned, I will raise this as a feature request and once there are any updates, you will be notified about them through this thread.
Can you only tell us if the mentioned Adobe report that enabled you to do this had some specific name and if you can include any screenshot of that report - not the Excel export of the same.
- UoPeopleAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM
This seems to be very good. I of course understand this is not something that can be done tomorrow, but I do feel it will benefit your users and their experience with this great platform.
- BenAnswered on May 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Great, thank you for the confirmation :)
I have raised it as mentioned previously and as soon as there is any update on the development you will be notified about that through this thread.