What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Special characters in the Properties name breaks the calculation value in Form Calculation widgetAsked by aclctutoring on June 09, 2015 at 09:40 PM
I made some minor changes to my registration form, after which the calculation widget stopped working.
Per my previous forum submission:
Under the "course selection" tabs, more specifically, the dropdowns and checkboxes on those pages, currently have calculation values associated with them (since the registration costs varies with registration date).
After completing the form, I noticed that no matter which selections I made, the calculations did not populate via the calculation widget.
Thanks for your help!!
registration form checkboxes calculations Selection
Upon checking your form and cloning it, this is the form calculation I saw at the end.
I see there's multiple addition sign in your calculation. Have you tried deleting the form calculation widget, re-adding it and set it up again? If you have updated your fields, like deleting or re-adding new ones, this might have change the form calculation as a whole.
Let us know if after updating re-adding the form calculation resolved the problem. We'll wait for your response.
Thanks for catching that, but I re-added the widget and the total fees still aren't populating.
EDIT: I just went back to check the widget and the additional "+" signs between the fields appeared once again.
I've cloned your form and test it on my end, I was able to replicate the problem now.
It seems like there's a problem with your other fields, example, the check boxes below have problems. When you add them in the Form Calculation widget, they are being automatically removed, that's why we are seeing excess "+". Not sure why. I would advise that you delete them and re-add them again.
Another note, when adding calculation values on check boxes, you just need to add one value if it has one option. I noticed in your check box it has "0" and "250" for these fields. However, for your drop down fields, adding "0" in the list of calculation fields is correct, as long as it outputs correctly in your form calculation widget.
I've cloned your form and made edits on my end. Here's my cloned form: http://form.jotformpro.com/form/51601678054959?. See if mine works.
You can try cloning my cloned form and use that instead. It's possible that there's a cache problem when you were editing your form. You can clear your form's cache and your browser's cache to start a fresh session before editing your form.
Do let us know if this helps.
Great, your cloned form works. However, I noticed that the fields for the two "Reading Comprehension/Vocabulary Development" courses weren't added to the calculation widget. Upon adding their respective fields, the entire widget stopped working again.
I think I found the problem, it seems like this is related to the properties name of your field.
By default, the property name will depend on the first time you add the field name. Because your field uses special characters like "", /, &. It is also added in the properties name. See screenshot below. It uses "&" and "/". It seems like this causes the breakup in the Form Calculation widget.
I've updated my cloned form by just editing it and it works.
You might need to check each one of your properties name and make sure that you only use alphanumeric characters, without any special characters like "&", "/" or the likes.
You can check my form again, but you'll need to make sure that the other fields doesn't have any special characters in the properties field name.
Let us know if that fixes it.