- clarkeAsked on July 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Is there a way to scan images into a form and then submit them via email instead of needing to scan first and then upload the document once it is saved on a computer?
- BenAnswered on July 21, 2015 at 01:49 PM
Scanning requires talking with drivers so it would need to be a feature of the browser, before it could be used on forms, and even then, it would be required to be offered by the browser as something that form's code can access.
Alternative is to have a plugin that talks with the browser, but with system as well, which would allow something like that, but to have something like this work it would require that the users that are filling out your jotform have this plugin or software installed on their system, which not many would be willing to do.
The alternative is to either:
1. Capture a photo instead of scanning, which can be done by utilizing this widget: Take Photo
2. ask the customers to scan it on their device and then upload it over the form.
- ckueltzoAnswered on July 21, 2015 at 02:13 PM
All of the computers that they will be filling out the forms on will have scanners already attached and drivers installed. Is the hardware all they would need or will there still be some sort of software plugin if that is the case?
- BenAnswered on July 21, 2015 at 03:19 PM
I did consider the case where all PCs would have scanners with the drivers connected to them, but the issue is that browsers are not build to accept scanned documents.
What this means is that you would actually need an application on your system that would allow you to scan the image and then a plugin in your browser that would make the scanned image or the scanning ability passed over to, which would in the end pass it over to some form.
This means that all computers would need to:
1. have that application / software installed
2. all browsers on their computers would need to running the plugin that is pair to the software
only then would it be possible.
If the browsers start implementing such feature in the future, then that would be possible directly through the browsers, until then, unfortunately the closest to it would be the 2 options mentioned above, to:
1. take a photo of the document
2. to upload the scanned document.
- ckueltzoAnswered on July 21, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Got it now.
Thanks. Appreciate the time.
- BenAnswered on July 21, 2015 at 05:06 PM
You are welcome.
Please do let us know if you have any further questions and we would be happy to assist with them.