- dohafamilyAsked on September 18, 2015 at 04:15 PM
We moved to JotForm from AdobeFormsCentral (AFC). With that platform we could add columns or reorder the existing columns without affecting the data - LOVED that feature.
From what I'm reading here in the JF Forum, though, if we do integrate a JotForm with GoogleSheets and then add a column or move them around it will "break the integration". This is a bit of a bummer but I think we can work around it with a bit of advice.
(1) Can I somehow add fields to our form that are invisible to the user, but ultimately provide columns in GoogleSheets that we can populate as needed?
(2) Our form is already set up and we have 150+ responses. Once we add the extra fields from (1) will we be able to download all of the existing information into GoogleSheets and then set it so that future submissions automatically dump in there as well?
(3) Let's say the information has been dumped into GoogleSheets and I need to change the email address of one of the respondents. Will that "break" the integration?
(4) Is there anything else I need to know - any useful tips, both "make sure you do this" and "don't do that" type of things?
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on September 19, 2015 at 01:34 AM
Thank youj for providing us a detailed description of your inquiry.
Here are the answers to them
You can add the regular field (i.e Textbox field) on the form and then Hide it from end-user using its Hide property.
When you re-integrate the form to Google Spreadsheet, which you should do after adding the hidden field, the integaration will generate again a new Submission spreadsheet in the Google Docs.
Succeeding submissions of the forms will automatically include all the fields/column into the spreadsheet as well.
#3. Modifying anything on the Google Spreadsheet itself will most likely will 'break the integration'. We always recommend to not do any modification on the integarted spreadsheet.
How to apply update and reflect it to your Spreadsheet?
Do it on the Submission Data of the form itself.
Once you have updated the necessary data(answers), do the Google Spreadsheet re-integration proccss again. This will then result to an updated Google spreadsheet.
#4. Ultimately, just do not do any modification on the integrated spreadsheet itself. And all will be fine.
Hope this help. Let us know if you need further assistance.