JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
How to put workflow into a form?Asked by micusaIT on June 15, 2016 at 01:16 PM
So I have this form below that is three forms in one. One section of this form, the Pre-Transfer form, needs to be split into two parts. I need the manager of the department the employee is leaving to fill out all they know on this form then submit it. But when it submits it needs to be sent to the new departments manager, name and email to be provided by the leaving departments manager, so they can fill out the rest of the information. Then I need it sent to the group of emails it current is set to be sent to. Is there a way to do this?
I'm not sure I fully understand, so we might need more information.
But this could be possible to do by using the conditions "change email receipt".
So when the appropriate field is selected you can change to which email will certain Notifier go. Of course, you should create several notifiers for new departments manager, leaving departments manager.
What I didn't understood is, this part of the form, Pre-Transfer form, should it be sent exactly as it is to all those people or certain parts should be hidden for certain people?
And which part of that form is filled by who?
Please let us know so we can try to create the workflow you need.
It was originally just transfer form but I thought I might need to do a Pre and Post transfer form which is why it is named Pre-transfer form.
As to certain fields being shown to certain people, I do not care if they see all fields but it will take both the original and the new manager to completely fill out the form. But like the original manage would need to specify groups to be removed from and current assets, whereas new manager needs to provide groups and permissions to be added along with any new hardware needed.
Thank you for more information provided.
So how should the workflow of submitting and emailing should go?
1. Your customer comes fills the form and submits.
2. Email goes to Pre manager, he fills his part and submits.
3. Then email goes to new manager he fills his part and submits.
4. Finally(I'm assuming) email goes to submitter with some kind of approval message.
I didn't get this part with groups though, but is this how to workflow should be?
If not I would appreciate if you can correct me so we can make it work for you.
1. Pre manager fills out what they know originally
2. Emails new manager (provided by pre manager in form) with instructions and edit to fill in missing information
3. Submit to IT for completion
I'm checking your form and I think you have already set it up the way want it to.
Basically, you'll need three things for a multi step form:
1. You need to setup specific email notifications/autoresponders specified to the pre-manager, manager and IT team.
You can learn more about email notifiers/autoresponders on this guide: https://www.jotform.com/help/30-Explanation-of-Email-Notification-and-Autoresponder-Settings
2. Now you need to add the edit link on the email alert if that person or team needs to edit the submission. In your case, if the "Manager" needs to edit the submission to fill out his/her part, then you need to add the edit link on the email.
3. Now the email notification should only be send on specific conditions or rules. Let's say if the "Manager Email" is filled out, then send the email alert "Email to Manager". Same goes with the IT team, if the "Manager" section of fields are filled out then send the email "Email to IT team" to an email address. This can be done using JotForm's Conditional Logic feature, you can learn more about it on this guide: https://www.jotform.com/help/167-How-to-Send-Email-Based-on-Selection
I hope this helps.
But how do I send an email to the new manager that is specified by the pre manager in a field in the form? I do not see how I can send the email to a form field email vs specifying an email that only the pre manager can provide.
Could you try creating Autoresponder that will send email to the 'field' that is post manager email address and make that field hidden.
Now, when the form is submitted, that field is hidden(no value in it) and autoresponder will not be sent.
But when pre manager put all data in the form, manager email as well, then autoresponder will be sent to the post manager's email that he specifies:
Hope that this could work for you.