API Forward Board Application
API Forward is a nonprofit based in Portland, Oregon, with a mission to develop and advance leaders who identify as Asians or Pacific Islanders. We offer programs for professionals and undergraduate college students. The program for students includes a scholarship fund to support their education.
The Board manages organizational finances and sets long-term priorities for programs. It is also responsible for developing, executing and evaluating API Forward programs, initiatives and fundraisers. Members of the board contribute the educational, management, legal, communication and financial skills needed to ensure long-term organizational stability.
The board comprises up to 15 voting members. Terms are two years with a limit of two consecutive terms. Members are required to declare their intention to continue serving after each term with a progress evaluation. A list of responsibilities and bylaws are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Declaration of candidacy
The API Forward board is a working board. Candidates are urged to consider personal priorities for the next year and the ability to support a nonprofit that is rapidly growing.
Time and financial considerations:
- Board meetings: Once a month for 1.5 hours.
- Committee work: Every member of the Board is required to serve on at least one committee. Meetings vary and can often be conducted via electronic means.
- Annual retreat.
- Annual fundraiser: Each board member is expected to assist with marketing, solicit donation items/sponsorship, and fill at least one table at the fundraiser event.
- Other programs: Strong participation and support expected.
- Donation: As with any Board, members will be asked for a cash or in-kind donation. The amount is optional, but we ask that members give at a level that is meaningful to them as a leader in the organization.
Characteristic and quality we look for:
- Self-discipline with keen enthusiasm.
- Conscientious leadership with compassion.
- Positive attitude with strong sense of accountability.
- A team player who is willing to step up and lead.
- Complete the application (page 2 of this document).
- Upload your resume.
- Upload 2 letters of recommendation.
If you have any questions, please contact API Forward at email@example.com.