Declaration of candidacy
The API Forward board is a volunteer working board. Interested persons are urged to consider personal priorities for the next year and the ability to support a nonprofit that is rapidly growing.
Time and financial considerations:
- Board Meetings (1.5 hours per month)
- Additional Time (~2 hours per month or as necessary for specific events / committees):
- Every member of the Board is required to chair at least one committee (programming, communications, fundraising / events, finance, HR / people). Committee meetings vary and can often be conducted via electronic means.
- Annual Retreat.
- Annual Fundraiser: Each board member is expected to assist with marketing, solicit donation items/sponsorship, and fill at least one table at the fundraiser event.
- Other programs: Strong participation and support expected.
- Donation: As with any Board, members will be asked for a cash or in-kind donation. The amount is optional, but we ask that members give at a level that is meaningful to them as a leader in the organization.
- 18+ years of age
- Availability for in-person Portland/SW Washington events
- Interest in API advocacy and community work; dedication to service
- JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) lens
- Growth mindset grounded in curiosity, openness, and a can-do approach
- Adherence to moral and ethical principles
- Ability to empathize and demonstrate compassion for others
- Self-motivated; reliable; accountable
- Team-oriented and collaborative
Nice to Haves:
- Nonprofit work experience
- Board of director experience
- Grant writing and fundraising experience
- Existing relationships and connections to API community / organizations
Not sure if you meet our requirements?
Studies have shown that female-identifying folks and people of color are less likely to be confident that they meet requirements.
At API Forward we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic environment, so if you are excited about this role, but not sure if your skills or experiences align with the must haves in the description, we encourage you to ask.
API Forward is an equal opportunity nonprofit organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for everyone. We encourage interested candidates of any identity, cultural or otherwise, to submit a Candidacy Form.