You understand… that I am not an attorney, and A+ Legal Document Assistants is not a law firm. I cannot represent you in court. I cannot advise you about your legal rights or the law. I cannot select legal forms for you. James Dodd owner of A+ Legal Document Assistants, is registered in Sonoma County Registration Number LDA-75. To confirm that James Dodd is registered, you may contact the Sonoma County clerk's office at: (707) 565-3800.
LEGAL DOCUMENT ASSISTANT CONTRACT FOR SELF-HELP SERVICES This is a contract between me and you, for the self-help services described in Part I below. I am the "legal document assistant" and you are the "client."
1. You should read and understand this entire contract before you sign it. You should understand the kinds of services that I can and cannot perform for you (see Part I below).
2. I am not an attorney. I cannot perform the legal services that an attorney performs. I cannot engage in the practice of law.
3. The county clerk has not evaluated or approved my knowledge or experience or the quality of my services.
4. I am acting as a legal document assistant without the supervision of an attorney. I am not acting as a paralegal. By law, a paralegal may only perform services under the supervision of an attorney. If you wish to have an attorney supervise the services provided, you must personally retain an attorney to act on your behalf.
5. I cannot keep your original documents if you request that I return them to you. I cannot keep your original documents if you and I do not sign this contract or if this contract terminates (ends) for any reason. I cannot keep your original documents after all the contract services have been provided (see Part I below). It is a violation of California law if I keep your original documents under any of these circumstances.
6. It is a violation of California law if I make any false or misleading statement to you.
7. I cannot obtain special favors from, and I do not have any special influence with, any court or any state or federal agency.
8. As required by law, I have filed a bond or made a cash deposit and have registered as a legal document assistant in each county where I will perform services on your behalf.
I. SELF-HELP SERVICES: I can perform the following self-help services for you in connection with a legal matter in which you are representing yourself: I can type or otherwise complete, as you specifically direct, legal documents that you have selected. I can provide you general published factual legal information that has been written or approved by an attorney, to help you represent yourself. I can provide you published legal documents. I can file and serve legal forms and documents as you specifically direct. These are the only kinds of services that I can perform for you. I cannot provide you any service if you need additional services. If you need additional services, then you require the services of an attorney. Kinds of services that I cannot perform for you: I cannot provide you any self-help service unless you are representing yourself in a legal matter and the self-help service relates to that legal matter. I cannot engage in the practice of law. This means that I cannot give you any kind of advice, explanation, opinion or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, strategies or options that you may have. I cannot give you any advice, explanation, opinion or recommendation regarding selection of forms.