Working with a PDF document can be significantly easier and more convenient that working with an original document created in a program such as Microsoft Word.
If you’re working in the legal profession, and you need to exchange documents with clients or other lawyers, a PDF provides several advantages. For example, for a digital document to be admissible in court, that document needs to be in a format that cannot be altered without leaving a digital record of what changes were made.
The human resources department of any company provides prospective and current employees with a variety of documents, forms, and other paperwork. Additionally, a business can create brochures, training manuals or even invoices and forward a PDF file. While the original source document may have been created in Microsoft Word, it’s far more efficient to send copies as a PDF file. This eliminates compatibility issues that may arise due to different versions of Word, missing fonts or different operating systems, such as Mac or Windows, or iOS and Android.
Here’s five reasons why you should distribute PDF documents rather than an original.
- Retain formatting. You may be using special fonts and formatting.
- Platform agnostic. PDF can be read on any device and operating system, including mobile and tablets.
- Security. You may want people to only read your document, and not change the content of your PDF. Plus, you can easily password-protect a PDF document.
- Multiple versions of software. People receiving your document may not have the latest version of Microsoft Word, which means it’s possible the document can’t be accessed. This isn’t an issue when using PDF.
- Free PDF readers. There’s a wide-variety of free PDF readers available for every operating system and platform.
How to Create a PDF on Mac
- Open the document
- Select File > Print
- Choose the PDF popup menu and select “Save as PDF”
- Choose a name and location for the PDF file. Enter the information you want in the Title, Author, Subject, and Keywords fields.
- Select Save
Apple makes it very easy to create a PDF from any type of software program by mimicking the same steps you would take to print a document. The process is baked into the operating system.
To create a PDF, just follow the steps provided above.
How to Convert PDF to Word - Word to PDF
How to Convert PDF to Word
- Open the file you want to convert in Acrobat.
- Click on the Export PDF tool in the right pane.
- Choose Microsoft Word as your export format.
- Click Convert. If your PDF contains scanned text, Acrobat will run text recognition automatically.
- Name the Word file and save it in a desired location.
Let’s say you urgently need to convert a PDF file to Word document format. There are a few ways you can do this. Adobe offers a product Acrobat Pro DC as part of their Creative Cloud Suite of products. It’s $12.99 a month and allows you to convert PDFs into Word doc, Excel spreadsheets and edit scanned PDFs.
If you have access to Adobe, it’s best to use the steps above to convert your PDF back into a Word document.
But if you’re strapped for cash, here’s a free way to convert a PDF to a word doc.
- Upload your file.
- Visit www.convertpdftoword.net
- Download the Word Doc version.
This free tool is littered with confusing ads, so try to ignore those. Also, the formatting is all wonky in the .doc version. But if you insist on changing the format, you should spring for the paid version with more features.
Here are our top picks for PDF to Word tools:
- PDF2Doc.com: simple, straightforward drag-and-drop PDF converter.
- iLovePDF.com: this site is very easy to use and has a lot of other PDF tools, like converting PDFs to Excel or Powerpoint. This is a handy site to bookmark for all your PDF editing needs.
- WordtoPDF.com: This site is nice because you can go from one file format to another, converting the documents and then emailing them to anyone. There is a size limit.
There are many other online options which you can choose to convert your PDF files. Visit JotForm’s guide about online PDF to Word converters.
How to Convert Word to PDF
- Click File tab and select Export.
- Click Create PDF/XPS Document.
- Then click Create PDF/XPS.
- Change the file name and choose a folder on your computer before saving the document.
Now you have a shiny new PDF!
Since you now know how to convert a Word document to a PDF, you’ll be able to easily share PDFs without disturbing the formatting as well as being able to view your document easily on a mobile device. For more online options that you can consider, visit JotForm’s guide of Word to PDF online tools.
Basically, there are programs for editing, converting, reading, creating and designing PDFs, if you want a full suite of functionality you’re probably going to have to pay for it. If you’re willing to piece together solutions through various web-based tools, you’ll get what you need.
How to Convert PDF to Excel – Excel to PDF
How to Convert PDF to Excel
Concerning PDF to XLSX conversions, there are a couple of methods you can refer. Along with online conversion tools, you can also use Microsoft Office or Adobe Acrobat. We have covered both converting PDF to Excel in MS Office and Adobe Acrobat in separate articles.
How to Convert Excel to PDF
Spreadsheets sometimes contain important financial information that should not be changed, or is confidential and is to be viewed by specific people, only. An advantage of using PDF instead of Excel is anyone can open it, even if they aren’t using Microsoft Office. Another advantage is it’s easier to print and distribute a spreadsheet.
Here’s how you can create a PDF from Excel:
- Open the file
- Select “Export”
- Select “Create PDF/XPS”
- Click Options and adjust your PDF settings
- Select which items to include in the PDF document
- Give your PDF document a name and select “Publish”
If you would like to convert an Excel file to PDF using Adobe Acrobat PDF Maker, you can follow the instructions given at JotForm’s Excel to PDF Guide Using Adobe. But if you wish using Microsoft Office, JotForm’s Excel to PDF Convert Guide Using MS Office is the right option.
How to Convert PDF to Image – Image to PDF
How to Convert PDF to JPG
Let’s say you have a PDF and you really need it to be a jpg, in the PDF editing tool of your choice go to file and “save as” and choose jpg-jpeg.
Maybe you just want part of the PDF to be an image. You’ve found the perfect graph for your report on the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow, unfortunately it’s in a PDF and you can’t seem to right click and save the image in order to plop it in your report.
No worries, there are actually a few easy ways to life images out of PDFs.
Screen grab the image
Most PC’s come with the Snipping Tool and you can download a screen grabber tool like Snip for Macs. These tools all works basically the same, you select the tool and you can either take a full screenshot or choose to select the area you want to capture. Cross hairs will take over your cursor and you can click and drag to select your screenshot.
Or you can use these keyboard shortcuts for taking screenshots on a Mac
- COMMAND+SHIFT+3 saves an image of the full-screen to the desktop
- COMMAND+SHIFT+4 allows for taking a snip of a specific area of the screen to the Desktop. When the cursor changes to a cross hairs, click and drag a box around the section you want to capture and release the mouse to save to the desktop.
Web Applications For Extracting Images from PDFs
Taking a screen grab is only one way to pull images from a PDF. There are a collection of web-based tools that will also do the job.
- ExtractPDF: a clean, easy-to-use interface, makes for quick and easy photo extraction from a PDF. Doesn’t give you the option to choose what file format you get, but the results look pretty good.
- PDFaid: This page has so many ads you can’t tell what’s the app and what’s an ad. But it does the trick with just a couple clicks and you can choose what find of file you want.
Still need some help? We’ll walk you through the image extraction process using five of the best (and predominantly free) software tools available.
How to Convert JPG to PDF
Need to turn an image into a PDF file? No need to worry. We’ll show you a few of the best, not to mention free, software tools out there to convert JPG images to PDF files.
How to Convert PDF to PNG
Why would you want to convert a PDF to PNG format? The answer lies in how you want the PDFs to be viewed and how you’re going to use them. Here are some of the reasons why it might be useful to convert a PDF to PNG:
- It’s easier to import/paste a PNG image to Microsoft Office applications like Word or PowerPoint.
- A PNG is a very common image format on the web. Instead of embedding the PDF on your website, you can use the converted PNG image. This will eliminate design and browser compatibility issues. Users won’t need an external plugin or extension.
- Opening a PDF requires an external application, while opening a PNG image doesn’t.
Follow these steps to convert a PDF to PNG:
- Open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat, and then click the Tools tab.
- In the Tools tab, select Export PDF > Image and then PNG file format.
You can further configure the conversion settings by clicking the gear icon beside the file format you choose.
Click the Export PDF button. This will open a new dialog box where you can select the folder destination. After selecting the folder, the Save As window will open. Enter the file name, and then click the Save button to save the file.
How to Convert PNG to PDF
There are several different applications you can use to create a PDF, but it’s best to use Adobe Acrobat. This app will allow you to create a PDF from images, text, or spreadsheets.
There are several advantages of using Adobe Acrobat; the most common are conformity and reliability. When you create a PDF, Acrobat saves every bit of detail and formatting, including spacing, fonts, pictures, and forms.
Follow these steps to create a PDF using Adobe Acrobat:
- In the app menu, click File > Create > PDF, or go to the Tools tab, and then click Create PDF.
- In the Create PDF menu, select Single File, and then click the Create button to launch the Open dialog box. Select the file you want to convert.
- After you select the file, the PDF will be created.
How to Convert PDF to TIFF
Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) is a format that is used largely in the publishing and printing industry. It’s best for any bitmap images that you intend to edit, and it preserves the image quality.
To convert PDF to TIFF, use Adobe Acrobat for the best results:
- Open Adobe Acrobat, and then click Tools > Export PDF.
- Select Image, then TIFF to launch the Open box dialog.
- Browse the PDF file that you want to convert to TIFF, and then choose the folder where you want to save the TIFF file.
- That’s it! Now you can preview the converted TIFF file.
How to Convert TIFF to PDF
Converting TIFF to PDF is pretty easy using Adobe Acrobat. You can do the conversion directly from the TIFF, or you can embed a TIFF image into a Word document and then convert the document. In this tutorial, we’ll be converting a TIFF to PDF directly.
Follow these steps:
- Open Adobe Acrobat, and go to the Tools tab > Create PDF.
- Select Single File, and then click the Create button to find the TIFF file.
- After you select the TIFF file, it will be converted into a PDF.
How to Convert PDF to Text Formats
How to Convert RTF to PDF
- Open your word processor software
- Open the file
- Click “Choose File” and “Print”
- Choose Adobe PDF as the printer in the Print dialog box
- Click Print
Rich Text Format (RTF) is a proprietary document file format that was created in the late 1980s by Microsoft. The purpose was to create a file standard so users could exchange Microsoft documents between Mac and Windows. Most word processing software can read and write some versions of RTF, however it’s not a perfect process.
Instead of wrestling with RTF documents, it may be easier to send it as a PDF.
How to convert PDF to HTML
How do you display the content of a PDF in all browsers without running into any compatibility issues? You can simply embed the PDF on your website, or you can convert the PDF to HTML. While the latter may not produce the cleanest result, you can customize the HTML.
For instance, if you want to convert a brochure that’s in PDF format into a website, but you don’t have strong design or development skills, converting your PDF to HTML might be the quickest solution.
We recommend using the Adobe Acrobat application for PDF to HTML conversion. In addition to flexibility and functionality, you will get the best results when you work with the app that created the PDF.
Follow these steps to convert a PDF to HTML using Adobe Acrobat:
- Load your PDF into Adobe Acrobat, and then go to Tools.
- Select Export PDF, then HTML Web Page.
- Click the Export button, and then choose your file destination.
4. Preview the converted HTML.
How to Convert HTML To PDF
Follow these steps:
- Open Adobe Acrobat, and then go to the Tools tab.
- Select Create PDF, Web Page, and then enter the website URL that you want to convert to PDF.
- Click the Create button.