On the next screen we will ask you which category of membership you would like to apply for. Here are the descriptions of the various membership categories. If you are still unsure having studied them, then tick the 'I am not sure' option on the next page.
Applications from surveyors who meet all of the criteria below for full membership are invited from:
• Anyone who can prove that they have practised on a full-time basis for a minimum of five years as a consultant or marine surveyor.
• Individuals who, by producing written reports can demonstrate that they have practised marine surveying or consultancy for at least five years.
• Individuals whose qualifications or experience shall be considered appropriate by the Professional Assessment Committee (as beneficial to the support of the Institute).
Full Members may use the initials MIIMS after their names.
Please note: being a Full Member does not mean a surveyor can survey all craft.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals practising marine surveying, or consultancy for a minimum of three years and who do not yet fulfil the conditions to become Full Members.
• Full Members who have decided to reduce their involvement in the Institute.
Individuals whose qualifications or experience shall be considered appropriate by the Professional Assessment Committee, (as beneficial to the support of the Institute).
Associate Members may use the designation AssocIIMS after their names.
TECHNICIAN MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals holding a recognised qualification, for example, Inspector level 2 or higher (NACE, FROSIO, ICorr), RMCI and IRMII, NDT Technicians (CSWIP), for example gauging personnel, divers or other surveyors with at least three years full-time practical experience in a marine related field. Technician Members may use the designation TechIIMS after their names.
AFFILIATE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Less experienced surveyors, graduates and those who are in the early stages of a career in marine surveying, but who do not meet the criteria for Full or Associate Membership and are continuing to train and gain experience prior to applying for Associate Membership. Please note that the Affiliate category has a life of three years. At the end of year one the Affiliate member will be asked to provide evidence of their experience gained during the year and survey reports will be required for review. The same process will happen again for the second and third years. At the end of the third year, the Affiliate member will be encouraged to apply for an upgrade to Associate member. If they choose not to upgrade, he/she will be required to pay the higher fee for Associate membership. However, if a new Affiliate member already has a full-time surveying career, he/she can be considered for a 'fast track uplift' to either Associate or Full member after the first year. Affiliate Members may use the designation AffilIIMS after their names.
SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals who are not currently marine surveyors, but who have an interest in marine surveying and who encourage and approve of the aims of the Institute.