1. All barn cats come spayed/neutered, they are current on vaccinations, microchipped, and ear tipped.
2. The cats require shelter in a permanent building or structure like a barn, shed, stable, or garage in a suitable rural area where they will be safe. The property should be at least a .5 mile away from busy roads.
3. Daily food and water must be provided, as well as any future medical care needed.
4. When you are scheduled to adopt, we will select barn cats for you bases on which cats are the most eager to enter a cat carrier for us. If you have a color, age, or gender preference, we will do our best to accommodate you, though, we are not able to make any promises!
5. We strongly encourage adopters to offer cats in this program an independent outdoor life complemented by appropriate care and shelter like a barn or garage.
Not all cats in the barn cat program are social, friendly cats, or suited to be pets. They have no desire to be "lap cats" and often cannot be touched, or they may take a long time to trust enough to pet.
6. The youngest cats in the Barn Cat Program are approximately six months old. The ASCMV will not adopt younger kittens as barn cats, as they do not yet have the knowledge, size, or skills to remain safe outdoors. Most cats in the barn cat program are young adults between one and five years of age, although we do have younger and older cats available occasionally.