Welcome to Corvallis Leadership Commonwealth
We come together to inspire and support each other in pursuing a Thomas Jefferson-style education and in finding and living our missions.
Here is how to get involved:
- Register with our community, complete a Participating Member Application and Agreement
By registering with our community, you will be able to receive all of our communication, and register for classes your family would like to take. By completing a Participating Member Application and Agreement and agreeing to uphold the school’s vision and mission statement, your family, upon approval of the board, will be able to participate in classes. As a Participating Member, you can then work towards becoming a Voting Member, which will give you voting privileges in helping to organize our school.
- Complete the Participation Commitment Form to help mentor a class.
One parent is required to assist in mentoring/co-mentoring a class each CLC class day. We call this Parent Mentoring. You can share your love and passion for learning with the children, while getting to know other mentors as well. One parent must be on site for Core, Love of Learner, and Transition to Scholar students for liability reasons. We understand things happen and if you need to be absent for a day, coordinate with another parent to be responsible for your child and your commitments for that day. Volunteering is a great way to work with other adults, get to know some amazing people, and provide a wonderful example for your family, and our community. Sign up where you feel you can mentor, and the Board will coordinate with other volunteers so all positions are filled.
- Learn about Leadership Education
To obtain a vision of our educational and organizational goals, each family should read our shared book, A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille . This book can be purchased online, borrowed from our CLC resource library, or from the public library. More resources are listed on the back. For more guidance, please visit with the Principle Mentor, Erin Dapp. Attend Parent Orientation on September 21st from 1:15 to 1:45. Scholar-aged children will attend to younger children.
- Attend Community Meetings
Attending Community Meetings will allow you to get acquainted with our community, provide insight into how the school runs, and receive some parent mentoring in Thomas Jefferson Education principles.
Community Meetings are subject to change, but are tentatively scheduled for -
- Thursday, September 21st, 1:15 to 1:45 (Parent Orientation)
- Thursday, October 12th, 1:15 to 1:45 (Halloween Plans)
- Thursday, November 30th, 1:15 to 1:45 (Holiday Shoppe plans)
- Thursday, January 25th, 1:15 to 1:45 (Valentine's party plans)
- Thursday, March 7th, 1:15 to 1:45 (Shakespeare play needs)
- Thursday, May 2nd, 1:15 to 1:45 (Annual Spring Mtg/Spring Market plans)
- Look for unmet needs and fill them.
Each person’s talents are unique and each family has something to give. If you see a need, fill a need. There are many opportunities to get involved with our community and help. It takes all of us working together to create a fun and enriching environment for our community.
- Work towards becoming a Voting Member
As a Voting Member, you will have the right to vote on matters pertaining to the school, the community, and your family. By completing the requirements to become a Voting Member, you will have a greater understanding of the vision and mission of our school, and the principles we are trying to mentor in our families. Voting member status is earned by:
- Reading A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille.
- Read chapters 1,2,6 & 7 of Oliver and Rachel DeMille’s book; Leadership Education, The Phases of Learning
- Attending a colloquium of the learning phases and keys of leadership education
- Be a Participating Member for 6 months.
- Listen to the Membership Training Tool, provided on our website under Links.
- Attend a minimum of *4 Community Meetings per school year prior to the Annual Spring Meeting. *To renew Voting Member status, this requirement must be met each school year.
- Additional Resources for studying about the Thomas Jefferson Education
This is a great place to learn more about Leadership Education. You will find articles, e-books and downloads. Subscribe to the Weekly Mentor and get great tips and inspiration to help improve your mentoring abilities.
TJEd MUSE yahoo group
This is a yahoo group dedicated to supporting families using Leadership Education principles around the world.
Our own community website with class information