Browse Article by Topicsunique ID id auto increment auto numbering id generation form builder widgets
- What is a Form Builder?
- Print Button on Forms
- The Importance of Form Widths
- How to Set Unique Submissions on a Form
- How to Add Custom Unique IDs to your Form Submissions?
- How to Create a Grid Listing Report?
- How to find field IDs and names
- Hide or Show Multiple Fields at Once
- How to Remove Field Labels in a Form
- How to Strip Payment Labels and Separate Payment Info on Email Alerts
Related Forum Questions
- Order of completed form's answers on the app aren't correct
- Form is loading slowly
- Photos wrong place + Load issue
- Image Slider widget: Not displaying images
- "Hide empty fields" doesn´t work any more in auto response emails
- Can my form users create individual accounts?
- How do I get a discount for my account?
- I accidentally upgraded the wrong account
- Support Forum ID#1001044
- Conditional Logic: Field not displaying
How to Add Custom Unique IDs to your Form Submissions?Last Update: September 7, 2016
If you need an ID like "ISBN-0015" on your records, now you can accomplish this with our new "Unique ID" field. It's located under Widgets section in the toolbox to the left. Just drag & drop this tool to wherever you want on your form. It will not be displayed to your customers but will show up on your reports and submissions page.
JotForm automatically increases this number by an increment for every submission received, so you won't have to do anything.
To add a Unique ID , click on More Fields button and then type "Unique ID" or part of it, then click on it or drag and drop it to your form. Screenshot below:
You can also customize this number. Normally, it will work its way up from the default value, but if you need to customize this id, we have added three properties for this tool to make it easier for you. When you select this field you'll see these properties on the toolbar.
Current index displays the current value of your ID. You can use this feature to set a starting point for your IDs For instance, if you were to write 1000 here, Jotform would start counting from 1000. One important thing to remember about this property happens when you start to collect submissions. If you set this property to a lower number than the original current index, Jotform will continue increasing the new value regardless of previous entries so you may end up with same IDs on different submissions.
Prefix can be very useful to categorize your IDs. You can add any string in front of your IDs, hence it will make it easier to search for specific IDs. For example, "UID-15" is a lot easier to find than plain "15". You don't need to use an hypen on your prefixes but it's better for readability. For instance: "UID-15" > "UID15"
This feature will fix your IDs to the same length by putting "0"s before the ID value. For example, lets assume that you are expecting 1,000,000 submissions for your form and you are using the "CID-" prefix for your IDs. If you don't use number padding, you'll end up with IDs like these:
By using number padding, you can prevent this. 1,000,000 is 7 digits long number, so if you select "7" in the number padding field, JotForm will convert your IDs to these:
You'll always have the same ID lengths, hence it will be easier to organize your submissions.
A useful application of Unique ID is explained on this guide: http://www.jotform.com/help/255-How-to-setup-folders-using-UniqueID-in-Dropbox