Please print this page and provide it as a prompt for those writing a recommendation letter on your behalf.
It is a requirement for each student to turn in two recommendation letters. The letters are to be included with the application when submitted. Letters received after the application deadline will not be accepted. Do not include more than two recommendation letters. Letters must be scanned in on official letterhead and uploaded. Junior Achievement of the Bluegrass reserves the right to contact all references. Please address letters to "LLYP Steering Committee".
*If recommender does not have access to letterhead due to COVID-19, that exception will be made*
Letters can be written by teachers, coaches, mentors, employers, spiritual leaders, community members, business professionals, etc. Please do not include a letter from a relative.
When selecting a recommender, please keep in mind that it is the preference of the selection committee that recommenders demonstrate that they know the applicant well in the letter.
The following are prompts for recommenders and include things the selection committee would like for recommendation letters to cover:
1. How long have you known this applicant?
2. In what capacity have you interacted with this applicant?
3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the applicant in terms of his/her community involvement and leadership potential?
4. Based on your experience with the applicant, what would you expect the applicant to contribute to the Leadership Lexington Youth Program?
5. The selection committee is looking for high school students who possess leadership characteristics. In particular, we are interested in working with students who possess some, if not most, of the following traits to a satisfactory level:
Sense of Community
Mutual Trust and Respect
Curiosity and Forward-thinking
Open to Networking Experiences
Please provide some examples of how the applicant has demonstrated one or more of these traits in your experience with them.