The Metropolitan Youth Orchestra of New York is honoring the memory of one of our own MYO Alums, Grace McDermott, with the Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship. Grace passed away suddenly on May 1, 2017 as a result of a tragic house fire.
Grace sang Alto with the MYO Youth Chorale from 2005-2007, under the direction of Michael Kerschner. On the MYO 2006 China Tour, led by MYO Founder and Executive Director Emeritus John C. McNeur, Grace performed as one of the first vocalists ever on a MYO tour, under the direction of MYO Board President Sandra Baskin. Grace spoke about traveling with the MYO tour at such a young age as being a formative experience and essential to developing her independence. She also credited the MYO Tours with leading to her decision to live abroad. Grace traveled with fellow MYO Alum Jodi Ezratty, and we are truly grateful to Jodi, to Andrew Fund for this scholarship idea, and to all of Grace’s MYO classmates for their support in making the Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship a reality.
Please click here for a complete list of donors without whom this scholarship would not be possible.
Grace McDermott Tour Scholarship Application Information
1. The scholarship is open to 2019-2020 MYO members in good standing who are registered for the 2020 Summer Performance Tour.
2. The scholarship is based on financial need and will take into account MYO ensemble level, attendance, dedication, and the applicant's personal statement.
3. Scholarship applicants are required to write a paragraph (150 word maximum) about what they hope to gain from participating in the 2020 Summer Performance Tour.
4. Scholarship Awards: four scholarships worth $1,000 each will be awarded to two tour choir participants and two tour orchestra participants.
5. Scholarship application requires page 1 of the MYO family's tax return. If parents/guardians file separately, please include a copy of each return.
6. Applications will be reviewed by MYO Tour Staff and Music Directors.
Tour Scholarship Timeline
Application Available: November 6, 2019
Application Deadline: January 6, 2020
Scholarship Announcement: February 6, 2020