- POME3790Asked on May 02, 2017 at 12:54 AM
I am finding the GPS tracking is out by up to 250 km, can anyone advise?
- SvenAnswered on May 02, 2017 at 02:13 AM
Just to clarify, are you referring to our GPS location widget? If so, I just tested your form and my location was detected properly.
Please note that the GPS Location Widget detects location based on 2 feature of the device it currently is in used. The GPS settings of the device and IP address (if without GPS)
If the GPS setting is not correctly set, it might not give an inaccurate location. If the IP address is shielded (i.e. some IP proxy is being used), it will detect a different IP location.
Can you please try from a different device? Just to confirm where the issue is?
Please get back to us if the issue still persists.
- POME3790Answered on May 04, 2017 at 05:44 AM
Thanks, Sven we have been trying with different devices in different parts of Australia and get a 50% correct, unfortunately, we are still getting 50% showing a wrong location. Help!
- JotForm SupportJim_RAnswered on May 04, 2017 at 06:34 AM
Hey @POME3790 - The Google Maps API accuracy relies on two things:
1. Location policy - Where the user allows the widget to access location information on the device
2. Last location detected - If the user turned off their GPS, the last known location will be used, which is usually not accurate
You can never get a strictly accurate location 100% of the time. Our GPS Location Widget works on this same premise, that the user will allow the form to collect location information, and will make corrections if the location detected is inaccurate.
For further reading, I'd recommend you head over to this help page from Google where it was explained "How Google uses your IP address" for location tracking. This will help you better understand why, in case you're still not getting accurate results all the time.
- POME3790Answered on May 04, 2017 at 03:30 PM
- POME3790Answered on May 11, 2017 at 01:01 AM
Jim, we have managed to find the problem, it does relate to the user's phone, the GPS is working fine, thanks again for all your work.