- StinebemoAsked on June 28, 2017 at 07:15 PM
I've successfully integrated with my MailChimp list, but I have an overwrite problem:
An optional check box in my JotForm is linked up with a field in my MailChimp list. This field might already be populated in MailChimp – a user may have filled in the form at previously – and I need this information to stay intact.
But if the check box in my JotForm is left unticked... this will overwrite the MailChimp field with a blank entry – thus deleting any existing information. This is a problem.
Please tell me if there is a way the field could be left intact if the check box is not ticked?
This is a re-post of a comment on How to Integrate with MailChimp
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on June 28, 2017 at 10:31 PM
If you do not want the existing contact to be updated / overwritten if the user redo the form submission again, you should remove the check on the option Update Existing Contact in the MailChimp configuration.
Save the configuration by clicking on Complete Integration button afterward.
This will prevent overwriting of data in your MailChimp records using the form integration.
I hope this help. Let us know if you need further assistance.
- StinebemoAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Thanks for your reply, Jonathan, though I suspect I might be asking the Jotform to do too much? Because this unfortunately doesn't solve my problem. Doing this, it does the same thing, overwrite the existing information in MailChimp – clearing any fields with blank information.
I've worked with other form builders (such as Caldera forms) and with these it's possible to send information to MailChimp, updating existing subscribers without any blank fields overwriting data.
For example we always ask for a person's title in our forms, but it's never required. But if they are already on the list, with their title, I'd prefer not to loose this information in MailChimp.
Is there a way of Updating Existing Contacts and keeping any blank fields left idle?
- CharlieAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 04:59 AM
Sorry for that, not really sure what you meant by "keeping blank fields left idle".
Here's an example on how I understand your concern:
1. The contact in your MailChimp already has a "Title".
2. Then the JotForm form is integrated to MailChimp and you have mapped the "Title" field in JotForm to the "Title" field in MailChimp.
3. If the JotForm form is submitted and the "Title" field is empty, that will make the "Title" field in MailChimp empty also.
Is my example above the one you are referring to? You want to avoid fields in MailChimp to be overwritten by the JotForm submission if the information is blank in the submission itself?
I tested this my self and unfortunately, the integration will indeed update the information in MailChimp regardless if the information in the submission is blank, as long as it is mapped.
Here's my test case:
1. I have an existing contact in my MailChimp account, the "Birthday" field here is filled out.
2. In my MailChimp integration, my "Date" field in JotForm is mapped to MailChimp's "Birthday".
3. I then submitted the form but left the "Date" field blank.
4. Which resulted to the "Birthday" of my existing contact to be blank also.
Is that the case you are avoiding? Basically, avoid overwriting contact information if the submission from JotForm is blank?
- StinebemoAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 05:21 AM
Exactly. That's the problem.
- CharlieAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 05:46 AM
I see. Thank you for confirming. Currently, our MailChimp integration is designed to behave like that. As far as I know, we do not have an advanced setting to change that behavior. But I will forward this to our developers as a feature request and as a means to improve this. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that this will be implemented and cannot also provide an ETA. But rest assure that they will be aware of this.
For the meantime, you can check the following 3rd party applications that connects JotForm to MailChimp, as alternatives, although I am not sure if they have a different way of handling blank data, but you can try them first:
So far, the most advanced and well known on that list is Zapier.
I hope that helps and apologies for the inconvenience.
- StinebemoAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 06:05 AM
Thank you very much. :)
Hope to hear from you some time in the future when or if your developers offer an advanced solution.
I will check out the 3rd party applications as suggested – or I might just make a new list in MailChimp and manually update subscribers until another solution offer itself.
- CharlieAnswered on June 29, 2017 at 06:40 AM
Thank you for understanding. We will update you on this thread as soon as we hear any news on this.
- JotForm SupportNeilVicenteAnswered on July 05, 2017 at 12:18 PM
We have fixed this behavior. Empty mapped fields should no longer overwrite existing values.
Hope you like this news.
- StinebemoAnswered on July 06, 2017 at 03:24 AM
Thank you that's fantastic!
I've just tested it and it works perfectly.