- ComplianceChiefAsked on August 24, 2017 at 12:52 AM
I recently made changes to one of our forms by deleting the field & creating a new field.
I have just realised that all our past submissions data has been deleted as well.
Is there any way of preventing that in future?
I was lucky that it was just a date picker field!!
I await your input.
Thanks Compliance Chief
- JotForm SupportNik_CAnswered on August 24, 2017 at 03:11 AM
Yes, if you delete a field it will affect the submissions page, that field will not show in submissions anymore. So I'm afraid that it can not be prevented.
But if you put the field back to the form and submit it, it will show all previous inputs.
Also you could hide the field that you don't want to be shown and the field will remain in submissions even though it is not visible in the form.
Let us know if you have any further questions.
- ComplianceChiefAnswered on August 24, 2017 at 09:44 PM
That sounds like a plan.
- ComplianceChiefAnswered on August 25, 2017 at 12:42 AM
Your suggestion did't bring back the lost data.
- JotForm SupportNik_CAnswered on August 25, 2017 at 01:45 AM
Which field you deleted and restored?
Also, did you do a test submission after re-adding the field?
With those steps it worked on my test form.
We'll wait for your response.
- ComplianceChiefAnswered on August 25, 2017 at 02:14 AM
It was a date field.
Yes I did 2 test submissions.
- JotForm SupportNik_CAnswered on August 25, 2017 at 04:00 AM
Thank you for getting back to us.
That is wierd.
I did the same test on a cloned version of your form and it worked fine:
The empty space is when I submitted with deleted field.
I will consult our backend team on this, if it is possible to restore those entries for date field in your form.
We'll notify you via this thread.
- JotForm SupportRoseAnswered on August 25, 2017 at 04:14 AM
Just to clarify a point, Did you restore the deleted date field through revision history or did you just add another date field to the form?
Since, if you add another date field to the form, it does not bring back removed date field data. However, if you reverted your form to the version where you haven't deleted date field through the revision history, the removed data for date field would have been restored. On the other hand, if you added any field to your form and if you received submissions after deletion of date field, those data will be removed once you revert your form to the previous version and only if these two cases are met.
The ticket was assigned to our back-end team in Waiting for user status. We are waiting for your clarification on this matter.
- ComplianceChiefAnswered on August 30, 2017 at 02:31 AM
I didn't understand any of that. what's revision history???
- JotForm SupportNik_CAnswered on August 30, 2017 at 03:21 AM
The question my colleague asked is, did you just re-added the field back from the panel:
Or did you use Revision history to put the form back on some older state:
We'll wait for your response.
- ComplianceChiefAnswered on August 31, 2017 at 12:39 AM
* I did add a new date field to the form.
* I was unaware I needed to use Revision History to restore the data as that information was not given to me.
* Can you please give me directions as how to use Revision History?
- JotForm SupportKiranAnswered on August 31, 2017 at 01:08 AM
You may revert the form to an earlier working version by following the guide below:
Please note that if you have added any new fields and received any submission data to the new field after deleting the date field, they will be lost after restoring the form the earlier version. I hope you did not add any new fields except the date field to the form.
Hope this information helps! Please get back to us if you need any further assistance. We will be happy to help.