- JotForm SupportKevin_GAnswered on September 25, 2017 at 01:35 PM
I have tested some french characters and was able to replicate the issue with the CSV report, but the Excel report seems to be working fine.
I will forward this thread to our second level so our developers can take a look on this.
Regarding your other question, it's been moved to a different thread, we will assist you as soon as possible here: https://www.jotform.com/answers/1257098
- JotForm DeveloperHelenAnswered on October 10, 2017 at 08:06 AM
First of all, thank you for contacting us.
I have opened a new form and filled with French accents like "â, ê, î, ô, û". When I download the form as Excel or CSV, I did not encounter any issue on the form. The characters are shown on my side. By the way, I am using MacBook.
However, when I opened the same report on the Excel, Microsoft; I could see that the Unicode characters are broken. I think you are using the Microsoft, too and the problem related this operating system.
You need change your Excel's encoding to UTF8. Here is an example for Excel 2013:
1- Open Blank Workbook.
2- Go to DATA tab.
3- Click button From Text in the General External Data section.
4- Select your CSV file.
5- Follow the Text Import Wizard. (in step 2, select the delimiter of your text)
I hope it helps. Thank you,