- ValCarterAsked on May 23, 2013 at 06:14 AM
I have hundreds of forms hosted by you and all the Text Box fields which were created on every form for the student to input their number no longer accept the alpha-numeric value. I can't even modify the exisiting field and have to create a new text box on every form. This has been running fine for over a year but this problem started yesterday and hundreds of students have to submit their assignments this week.
- sidharth_kchAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 06:40 AM
Please let us know the form id so that we can have a look. I just checked one of your form (13102414615) and I was not able to reproduce this issue.
It would be great if you could let us know your website URL where you have embedded your form.
- ValCarterAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 07:16 AMYou perhaps picked up one which I’d changed owing to the urgency. Here is the form ID of a typical form. The first few fields are identical in all the forms. The Student Number field suddenly won’t allow an alpha-numeric value.
Mobile : 0824471861
- JotForm SupportabajanAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 08:26 AM
To my knowledge, it has always been the case that spinner fields (pictured below) allow only numbers to be entered. With such fields, the end user can either use the arrows in the box to increment or decrement the digits or just enter the number. The Student Number field in the form to which you referred (http://www.jotformpro.com/form/22241573847961) is such a field:
Are you saying that such fields in your forms used to accept alphanumeric values?
- JotForm SupportabajanAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 08:33 AM
I should add that with normal text boxes (not spinner fields) the default validation is None (as pictured below) to allow both numbers and letters:
Is the validation of all of the text boxes with which you are experiencing the issue so set?
- ValCarterAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 12:04 PMHi there,
These fields are not spinner fields. I’ve never used spinner fields on any of my forms so I’m not sure where you obtained the image below. All the Student Number fields were always created as Text Boxes with apha-numeric values. I can assure you, I’ve received all the submissions with the correct student numbers until yesterday when NONE of the students could input their student number. Take a look at one of the submission reports below.
Mobile : 0824471861
- ValCarterAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 12:06 PMI’ve tried changing the validation to none and it still doesn’t work. I have to delete the field and create a new Text Box but I can’t do this for all the forms as there are hundreds. I need to know what has caused this to change as the submission reports show correct submissions for over a year – up until yesterday.
Mobile : 0824471861
- KadeJMAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Hello and thank you for the extra information. I think my colleague's last response was based on your previous response before that which mentioned you spoke of the Student Number which shows a spinner on the form you linked as well. However, I also think that it sounds like you've changed it to this because of the need for use since the Textbox you mentioned when marked as Numberic Value isn't working it seems.
Now in regards to your issue. I looked at your most recent submissions for your form and they appear to be consistant. Are you trying to remove the lettering then and apply only numbers? I tested that too and I was unable to replicate the problem you are having..
Is it supposed to be a specified number format or?
- ValCarterAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 12:57 PMHi there, the textbox field for the Student Number was created on all the forms over a year ago and they have never been changed. The Student Number is normally a 3-alpha 3-numeric code. Can I give you access to my profile and you can check this out. I started to change a few forms today but it will take a number of days to do this and I can't see why I should do this before I get to the problem.
- KadeJMAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Thanks for clarifying it. Just as an extra precaution to make sure we are both on the same page now it seems to me after inspecting your account all of these fields are " Spinner " and you are saying that you had them as a Text Box with AlphaNumeric setting and never changed it correct?
It seems to me that this is probably a bug that may have caused this problem to happen on your account if that is the case. Please correct me if I'm getting any of this mixed up.
- KadeJMAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 01:53 PM
I've made a clone of one of your forms. I think this may have been how you had it beforehand?
- ValCarterAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 02:15 PMAlmost. The TextBox fields were never created as spinner fields and we've had no problems until yesterday. I actually created these forms 2 years ago and my client has been running for 18 months without a single problem so I agree with you about a bug.
- JotForm SupportMike_TAnswered on May 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM
We implement a lot of small improvements to the JotForm Application each day, and it is probably that some recent update broke the AlphaNumeric validation on your Number fields.
I have escalated the problem to our Developers.
For now, please try to stick with the Text Box fields. However, be careful with removing old Number fields from your forms. When you remove the field, associated submissions data is also removed.
We will keep you updated via this thread.
- JotForm FounderaytekinAnswered on May 24, 2013 at 04:56 AM
You cannot have letters on Number fields. You should use regular text fields for such questions.
You might be calling it a "Student Number", but they are not really numbers. They are IDs with both numbers and alphabetic characters. So, do not use the Number field.
- ValCarterAnswered on May 24, 2013 at 06:09 AMOk, thank you for your excellent support on this issue. I have issued a bulletin to the students indicating they should only input the numeric value of their student number until this is fixed.
Mobile : 0824471861