Problem with Japanese language

  • Profile Image
    heikijapan
    Asked on April 29, 2011 at 03:34 AM

    Hi!

    I have several forms online which use Japanese. I just noticed that in some cases the data collected (e.g. names etc) is not displayed correctly. Sometimes something like this "%&%$#()'" appear instead of some Japanese characters but sometimes some of the character in a row have turned into Korean or some very difficult Chinese characters. I guess that it might be cause by wrong character setting. Please help.

     

    Sincerely

    Heiki

     

     

     

  • Profile Image
    NeilVicente
    Answered on April 29, 2011 at 04:50 AM

    Konnichiwa Heiki,

    I have checked the submissions made to your form and I can confirm that you are indeed receiving entries with Chinese characters and some other symbols. As far as I know, data submitted to our server does not get modified in any way, and is stored in our databases as is. If the characters entered is in Japanese, it will be saved in Japanese.

    The most probable cause I can think of is that the person who submitted your form is using a computer that does not have Japanese-layout keyboard.

    Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact us again if you have follow-up questions.


    Neil

  • Profile Image
    heikijapan
    Answered on May 02, 2011 at 08:19 AM

    Dear Neil-san

    Thank you for the reply.

    Do you know some other reasons why my system receives some data in Japanes?

    I am 1000% sure that all people are using japanese OS and keyboards too.

    But maybe my sites characher set is incorrect? can you check it? cause only some of the data is in Chinese or Korean and some is still in Japanese, which is really strange :(

    btw, where did you learn japanese :)

    url: HeikiJapan.com

  • Profile Image
    NeilVicente
    Answered on May 02, 2011 at 04:27 PM

    Hi,

    I know of a few Japanese words from reading a short manual many years ago. I found the Japanese language very fascinating.

    With regards to your problem, I cannot be entirely sure but this could also be a problem with the user's browser not correctly identifying the html document's language.

    This can be solved by adding a language code in the webpage where your forms are embedded. Please add the following line into your <html> tags:

    lang="ja"

    so it becomes <html lang="ja">

    Let us know how this works for you. Contact us again if you have other questions.


    Arigato gozaimasu
    Neil

  • Profile Image
    heikijapan
    Answered on May 03, 2011 at 06:03 AM

    thank you

    will add the tags and will let you know if there will some other problems.

     

    by HEIKI