- brendapalomeraAsked on August 06, 2013 at 03:15 PM
I have two forms and the two are taking over six hours to update in Google Docs.
Can you help?
- khrisellAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 04:28 PM
We recently have some glitch with Google integration. But the problem is now fixed.
Kindly run a test submission on your end and check if you will experience the 6 hours delay.
If you continue to experience the problem, kindly let us know so that we could further investigate.
Thank you for using JotForm.
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 04:35 PM
From 8:36 in the morning does not update my forms do not matter how much proof. The records come in the mail but I is not updated in Google Docs.
- khrisellAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 05:36 PM
How about now? Is it still occuring?
I have tested Google integration on my end and I am able to receive the data without any delays.
May I know the Form Title on your account that you are currently working on right now and trying the integration with so that I can replicate the issue?
I will wait for your response to help you further.
Happy to help. :)
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 05:40 PM
All my forms have the problem.
- khrisellAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 05:58 PM
I highly suggest that you re-integrate your google spreadsheet and check again if it will fix the issue on your end.
And if problem persists, please do let me know so that I can escalate this to our higher level of support.
We are very sorry for any inconveniences that it may have caused you.
Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
I will wait for your response after you integrate google spreadsheet.
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 06:04 PM
I did reintegration even made a new form and nothing works.
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Does spreadsheet works with your form before? So far on my test, every time I removed the fields with the non-english character like "é or á" everything went through fine. However, when I add any of these letter, it breaks the integration. We have problems with the label symbols and non-english characters before on Google Spreadsheet so I am thinking if spreadsheet integration works on your form or there might be a glitch on the integration again.
Furthermore, is it possible to removed first your other integration like Google Drive? After that re-integrate your form to Google Spreadsheet? Try if this helps fixed but I'm afraid the defined characters above prevents the spreadsheet to update.
We'll wait your findings. Thanks!
P.S. Here's a working test without any symbols and non-english characters on the field labels.
Feel free to check and test.
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on August 06, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Nevermind, I was thinking it was previously working after re-reading your post. So far on my end, everything works as expected if you check my test. Would you please try to clear your browsers cache and cookies before re-integrating your form? I also cleared your form cache in our server, I hope this fixed it.
Let us know if the problem still persist after that. Thanks!
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 07, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I cleared my browser's cache and did a fourth time reintegration and only got the record stored but not update the new. I have three hours waiting and nothing.
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on August 07, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Thanks. I am not forwarding this to our developers so they can further investigate this issue. You will be informed here once this is fixed.
Our apologies for this inconvenience.
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on August 09, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Good day! Just an update with regards to this issue. Our developers have already made a fixed about this. Can you please re-integrate the form to Google Spreadsheet?
Let us know for the results.
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 09, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Still not working. I re-integrate the forms, spend an hour and not see the updated records.
- brendapalomeraAnswered on August 09, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I made a new form and it seems that integration works and I will comment that happens in an hour.
- KadeJMAnswered on August 09, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Hello and thank you for letting us know about this. You may additionally want to try clearing your form caches which may also help out with this. But should the problem with this continue just let us know.
- Jason Mark WolfAnswered on January 07, 2015 at 04:18 PM
The problem is happening again.
It is inconsistent, but google forms is not updating to my spreadsheet on random occasions, occurring about 1/20 - 1/30 times. The spreadsheet usually will update 12-24 hours after the form has been completed. The spreadsheet date will actually have the date that the form was entered, so it is obvious how many hours the delay has been.
Google- Please fix this glitch!