Worldpay closed my account. What's my immediate recourse?

  • Profile Image
    Sonda Turner 
    Asked on October 25, 2020 at 09:40 AM

    world pay inadvertently closed my business account without any authorization from me. They continued to charge fees, deducted from my business account and accept credit card payments from customers. They have acknowledged the mistake was on their end, have reopened the account but have not deposited the 250k into my business account they processed from my customers. I am getting the run around on when the money will be returned. I have all the documentation and they have agreed on the amount owed. What is my immediate recourse?

  • Profile Image
    Answered on October 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM

    Please note that JotForm is an online form builder where our users use our platform to create forms that can be filled out online.

    For any legal concerns, I suggest you contact your lawyer.