- jlosh1913Asked on October 01, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I'd like my form users to be able to save their work and continue filling out their form at a different time before making their final submission. how do I do this?
- khrisellAnswered on October 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM
For your requirement, you can use this feature that saves the forms for each unique user and for each page the form is filled. That way your users will be able to continue to fill out your forms whenever they are available. But, the tricky part is you have to keep a session id. Also, the save function is only available with the page break tool. Lets start the process:
NOTE : As a matter of fact , our session system will not be able to handle a large amount of records in dropdown menus. So please be aware of it, before to implement this method
I will explain a method from where, they will receive a custom URL that once they go to that link, they will have a pre-populated form to continue.1. Create a form to get name and e-mail. On the title explain the user why this is necessary. This will be referred as the first form from now on.
First Form Example:
2. Create another form that they will be redirected to. This will be referred as the main form from now on.
Main Form Example:
** By the way, did you notice that our page break buttons’ text are both editable? Select the page break form. Then, from the top toolbar select the button to edit the text of the button. **
3. When main form is finished click “preview” and then click “Open in new tab” button.
4. On the new tab copy the URL.
5. Close the tab and go to “my forms” and click “edit” on the first form you created.
6. On your first form go to “Email Alerts” and click “add new email” button.
7. Select the “Autoresponder Email” and click “next”
8. Enter your name and e-mail. Recipient E-mail field should be related with the E-mail form on your form. So it should be E-mail by default. If it is not selected please select E-mail. Click Next.
9. Erase all the data in the text area and write something meaningful for the user. Because this will be sent to his/her email.
10. Copy the URL that you have from your main form and at the end of the URL add a question mark “?”, after the question mark write “session”, next to it add the equals “=” sign and click E-mail on the form fields. So far your URL should look like this:
After you have written “?session=” select E-mail from the right corner of the page which is in “Form Fields”.
Select the URL and Copy. While selected, click on insert/edit link button.
A new window will pop-up and paste your link on the link/URL blank space and click “insert”.
11. Click Finish on the E-mail autoresponder menu.
We've covered the part where our main form will be emailed to our users when they submit their names and e-mail addresses. They will be able to complete their forms whenever they want from their e-mails. However, we also need to do a redirect page after they have submitted the first form.
12. At the first form go to “Setup & Embed” tab and click “Thank You”
13. Select the 3rd button “Thank You message” and click next.
14. Erase all data inside and create a message that explains to your users why they have to be directed to a new page.
15. Copy the final URL from step #10 - #11 and do same steps to insert the URL.
16. Click Finish.17. Make sure to Save your forms just in case and go for a try!Hope this method will help you wtih what you are trying to achieve.Kindly let us know if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to help out.Thank you for using JotForm. :)