Wrong credit card charged for Invoice 20203420426

  • Profile Image
    Asked on December 07, 2020 at 04:30 PM

    Hello -

    I went to re-upgrade my account and the wrong credit card informaiton was stored in my account. I have updated the cc to the CORRECT card now (ending in 3201) Can you help me refund the card that was wrongly charged (ending in 1006) and recharge the upgrade to the one ending in 3201 (now updated in my account)

    Thank you!

  • Profile Image
    Answered on December 07, 2020 at 08:12 PM

    I have now refunded your last payment. You may try to reupgrade again. Let us know if you need further help.