- KeystonemerchAsked on November 18, 2013 at 05:11 PM
- KeystonemerchAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 05:18 PM
It's hard to see, but the numbers to the left of the photos are supposed to be in the column next to the photos like in the table report above.
can I fix this? I like the table report because it has a nice grid. I don't like that we can't freeze the top row for easy viewing.
I like the grid form because you can freeze the top row. Don't like it because it doesn't have a nice grid. Is there a way to make a grid on the grid report??
- JotForm SupportMike_TAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM
We have marked this thread as private.
This is what I get when I check your reports:
(click on the image to enlarge it)
The Grid Listing report looks good to me. Am I missing something here? I used Google Chrome for testing.
You can also try to check the report using some other browser, computer or create a new report to see if that makes any difference.
- KeystonemerchAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 06:24 PM
- KeystonemerchAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Here is a better image of what I'm talking about. I also used google crome. I will try from a different computer.
Click on the image. On my end it's messed up.
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 07:37 PM
I can also view the grid report of your form just fine on my end.
(click on the image to enlarge)
This was your screenshot on your end
Can you point to me what is wrong with it... I will check further .
- KeystonemerchAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 08:31 PM
- CesarAnswered on November 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I am also using Chrome and do get the numbers aligned to the top-left of the cells. I'm not too sure ast to why your browser (being the same browser) is displaying it this way. Where you able to test on another workstation? Also, I would advise to clear the browser's cache and try revisiting the grid URL just in case is a wrongly cached version of your grid.
Screenshot of Grid Report on my Chrome Browser:
Do let us know if the issue persists, so we can assist you further, thank you.
- KeystonemerchAnswered on November 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM
You cracked the case, thank you so much!. Problem solved. It WAS the URL. I added a title at the end of the link. I have one client who has three different report links. I was trying to make it easier for him to identify which link was which.
- CesarAnswered on November 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Great to hear it is working now. If you do need further assitance, let us know. Thank you!