What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Can check box inputs be downloaded into excel in separate columns?Asked by francoisuclan on November 07, 2014 at 08:07 AM
If a check box form is used with the option to tick multiple boxes when you download the submissions it generates all responses in a single cell in the excel file.
Is there a different method of input available that would allow the download to excel to be in separate cells for each check box ticked?
Thanks in anticipation
I'm not sure if I'm visualizing it correctly.
If you have a question like,
"What kind of pets do you have?"
Checkboxes would be then:
1. Example of the spreadsheet that would look like if checkboxes are separated by columns.
I believe that this is not possible as the checkboxes hold the values of the text string named on them. And checkboxes that are not ticked would return a null or no value on the submission, which means it will not show in the excel sheet when downloaded.
Here's an app that might help you, http://widgets.jotform.com/widget/configurable_list and http://widgets.jotform.com/widget/data_grid. You can explore on it by doing different setup. But for that specific setting that you are looking, I believe it's not possible right now.
We can also create separate checkboxes that will act as a group, you can follow the screenshots below.
1. You can also try creating separating checkboxes that are independent field but will act as a part of the group.
2. This is how the submission will look like for separate checkboxes that acts as a group
3. The downloaded excel sheet will then display the data like this:
I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance on this.
Thanks. As it stands, the data from the question below end up as a single line in Excel. If I can't resolve this to down in single columns, then I'll have to migrate back to Survey Monkey (which I'd rather not have to do).
This is the workaround that I can think of right now. By adding checkboxes separately but will treat as one group.
I have another sample form here:
The result will show like this:
For the above form, what I did is just add separate checkboxes, same with how I did in my previous post. But in this case, we want to have a column name "Choose a Plan" and the options "Plan A", "Plan B", "Plan C" and "Plan D" would be inside the cell. You can check the guide below on how I did this:
1. Add a "Text" that will act as the Question for the checkbox options. Go to the properties of each checkbox.
2. On the Properties window, add the text that will act as a column name and the option value.
3. But the question on the properties will show as a label and will be visible in the form. What we can do is use a custom CSS code to hide the labels and the option names will be the only one visible.
4. The form will look like this:
5. The submissions on excel spreadsheet will then look like the one above.
Let me know if this is what you have in mind.